S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Smoke again...

Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke again...

A couple weeks ago I posted about my car making clouds of smoke. After short dicussions, it was decided that I had overfilled the oil a touch a couple of days previously. It smoked for a day and was fine...

Until now.

It's smoking again this morning, heavily. The engine sounds just slightly different too, a bit more treble. The oil is not low (as mentioned I had slightly overfilled it only a couple of weeks previously).

What could be causing this?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What color is the smoke?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by o'malley_808,Oct 9 2009, 08:45 AM
What color is the smoke?
You read my mind Correct me if I'm wrong.White smoke=coolant,blue smoke=oil and black smoke too much fuel? Is this correct?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Jack,Oct 9 2009, 01:07 PM
You read my mind Correct me if I'm wrong.White smoke=coolant,blue smoke=oil and black smoke too much fuel? Is this correct?
Yes.

OP - sounds like something is blown. Did you ruin your piston rings with too much oil? Head gasket done? Any oil on your plugs?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Check coolant levels..
If it's white you probably blew the headgasket.
If it's blue then maybe the valve seals are busted or something.
Do a compression test to see if any cylinder is out of the norm.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:44 AM

Thanks guys... smoke is greyish, I wouldn't say blue or white.

Once again it stopped smoking within a few hours. I took it to my mechanic, and he said there's no point doing a compression check yet, the spark plugs will tell us if oil is getting into the cylinders. They were greyish white, lean if anything, there's not an excess of oil being burnt in the cylinders. Valve seals are looking likely culprits. It only happens in the morning so far.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:55 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by foxy_s2k,Oct 11 2009, 04:44 AM
Thanks guys... smoke is greyish, I wouldn't say blue or white.

Once again it stopped smoking within a few hours. I took it to my mechanic, and he said there's no point doing a compression check yet, the spark plugs will tell us if oil is getting into the cylinders. They were greyish white, lean if anything, there's not an excess of oil being burnt in the cylinders. Valve seals are looking likely culprits. It only happens in the morning so far.
Hey foxy

Check your converter. When it's broken inside, it can cause that exact intermittant problem. It happens when you start the car. When the honeycomb slides inside and blocks the pipe it causes huge clouds. Listen for the rattle.

fltsfshr
Old 10-11-2009, 05:15 AM

I HAVE A RATTLE I CAN'T SOLVE AT 2700rpm!! That's the other thing that's driving me spare!

But I have a test pipe. Hm...

Thanks flt...something to think about...
Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 PM

OK guys, please, I've been to my mechanic a couple of times now, and short of opening the engine up, he can't tell me what the problem is...He's a good mechanic, he works on a few members cars, but he doesn't have the experience that an owner has... Here are the key symptoms...

When the car has warmed up, quite a large amount of smoke is emanating from the exhaust. Big clouds of it. Once in vtec the smoke stops, but comes back when I drop back into the lower rev range. It make s aparticularly thick cloud when pulling away after idling for a few seconds.

The smoke doesn't seem to be blue, more like a greyish white (still think its oil though). Oil is ok, coolant is ok, no white stuff in oil to indicate head gasket, no soot on the plugs to indicate rings.

I have a test pipe and a J's Ti exhaust, but this is a recent problem, I don't think it's caused by the TP.

I'm left with valve stem seals as my only real guess. What would you guys say?
Old 10-11-2009, 11:17 PM

did your mechanic do a leakdown test?

Quick Reply: Smoke again...