S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Smelling gas from inside cabin

Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
Check to see if your oil filler cap is on.
The one under the hood? Yeah I just checked it now and it's on correctly.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 AM

Yah I checked inside the gas cap and the rubber ring isn't in there lol... I ordered a new OEM one and am getting it Monday morning. Also I notice that there isn't a metal flap thing inside where you stick the nozzle for filling up the car with gas...? I could have sworn it was on there last weekend when I put some fuel cleaner in the car.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k-tilldeath
Yah I checked inside the gas cap and the rubber ring isn't in there lol... I ordered a new OEM one and am getting it Monday morning. Also I notice that there isn't a metal flap thing inside where you stick the nozzle for filling up the car with gas...? I could have sworn it was on there last weekend when I put some fuel cleaner in the car.
looking for my "metal flap" right now
Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 PM

Any suggestions before I go and take it to get looked at? The smell is SOOO potent when driving or after I drive it. Also, I always reset the trip when I fill with gas and no I am at half a tank and I have only driven 65 miles.... PLEASE help me!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 AM

I was thinking maybe my catalytic converter is failing?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k-tilldeath
I just checked and it smells potent in my garage. Also no leaks back by the exhaust. There is something on the ground but my car isn't leaking anything out. The reservoir in the front right of the engine bay (coolant?) is empty right now. And last time I had my hood popped (2 weeks ago to check oil) it still had green liquid in it.
Yeah, coolant. It should be between low and max, not empty. If it gets low, you can overheat the engine. Add some in the radiator and in the white jar. Use oem honda. And check the hose clamps/seals, you probably have a coolant leak somewhere (check the hose just after the alternator, pretty hard to see - that's where I had a small leak)

As for the fuel leak, check the injectors, just under the fuel rail. Sometimes the o-rings need to be replaced and gas escapes from there, maybe after you used the fuel cleaner you f@#ked up the o-rings. By that I mean ask someone to start the car while you look at them.

PS: no, it's not the cat.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would refrain from driving it if the gas smell is that bad. With that much gas vapor in the air you may catch the car on fire somehow. I would start with the Intector O-rings and work your way back towards the gas tank going over the whole fuel system to try and find the cause.

Best of luck.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by 4forall
I would refrain from driving it if the gas smell is that bad. With that much gas vapor in the air you may catch the car on fire somehow. I would start with the Intector O-rings and work your way back towards the gas tank going over the whole fuel system to try and find the cause.

Best of luck.
yes, dont drive, sounds like substantial fuel is leaking. AAA?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

He's going to drop off the car with us tomorrow, we'll get to the bottom of this shortly

Evan
Old 09-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Turns out it was just an O-ring on one if the injectors. Thankful that it was an easy fix. Gas was dripping out from the engine area so hardcore I thought it was going to cost me hundreds.

Quick Reply: Smelling gas from inside cabin