S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Smelling gas from inside cabin

Old 09-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Smelling gas from inside cabin

This morning on my way to work I could smell gas from inside the cabin. I checked on the ground and no leaks anywhere. I didn't feel any power loss. On my way home from work about 8 hours later when I walked out to my car I couldn't smell gas at all. I open the door and once I sat down I could smell gas once again. Car starts up fine and can smell gas from the inside and outside of the car while it's on. After driving for about 5 miles I noticed that when going into first gear from a stop I had to give it a lot more gas to get moving. I had to rev to about 3-4k. Any help please?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

gas cap malfunction (need a new one, seals are bad) or possibly the filler hose has a problem,......pretty commmon thing to smell gas with this car, typically shows itself when its super hot outside
Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
gas cap malfunction (need a new one, seals are bad) or possibly the filler hose has a problem,......pretty commmon thing to smell gas with this car, typically shows itself when its super hot outside
Ok, you think I should get one from honda or one from an auto parts store? I parked in my garage when I got home and my mom said she can smell it inside the house? I do usually get the gas cap cel every so often, but I have a habit of every few days to check the gas cap to make sure it's not loose. I'll go out and check to see if it's leaking. The whole drive home I could smell it and it was a huge smell.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 PM

I just checked and it smells potent in my garage. Also no leaks back by the exhaust. There is something on the ground but my car isn't leaking anything out. The reservoir in the front right of the engine bay (coolant?) is empty right now. And last time I had my hood popped (2 weeks ago to check oil) it still had green liquid in it.

Oops, this one is upside down, sorry about that. This one is showing the ground that maybe the coolant liquid leaked out, and when I rubbed my fingers on it, it smelt like the gas smell.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a possibility is the fuel pump assembly gasket fell off and into the gas tank.

Im not saying thats what it is, but if you know how to, then check the fuel pump assembly and make sure the gasket there is still in place.

The reason i think it might be something to do with that is because if anything is open near the assembly, then you'll smell it since it lies inside the cabin of the car, and not on the outside. and also, this happened to me before.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think it has to do with the gas cap because of the power loss, how would he lose power because of gas cap leak?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
i dont think it has to do with the gas cap because of the power loss, how would he lose power because of gas cap leak?
you're right,...i didnt even see that part of the thread
Old 09-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Originally Posted by TougeS2k' timestamp='1347721133' post='22013720
you're right,...i didnt even see that part of the thread
The power I lost was only going from a stop into 1st gear. It wasn't as much of a power loss as it was a "this car needs gas to get it into 1st". Once I am in 1st gear it's normal.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by BrockB
a possibility is the fuel pump assembly gasket fell off and into the gas tank.

Im not saying thats what it is, but if you know how to, then check the fuel pump assembly and make sure the gasket there is still in place.

The reason i think it might be something to do with that is because if anything is open near the assembly, then you'll smell it since it lies inside the cabin of the car, and not on the outside. and also, this happened to me before.
You're talking about reaching it from the trunk area right? I can take that stuff apart if that's what you're talking about.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check to see if your oil filler cap is on.

Quick Reply: Smelling gas from inside cabin