S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Smelling gas on cold start.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smelling gas on cold start.

MY05 with 30,500 mi.

mods:
k&n FIPK (since 2,500 mi.)
Magnaflow exhaust (Beginning of summer, about 1,000 mi. ago)
Upgraded audio (just finished a 2 week project)

When I start my car up and only when I turn on the heat, my car reeks of gas. It useally lasts for the first 10 min. of driving, up until the car gets heated up. Also, my gas mileage has dropped.

I had the same drop in mileage when I first put on my exhaust, but no gas smell (then again I didn't use the heat during the summer). But after a few weeks of driving around, I actually wound up with an overall increase in mileage over stock.

While I was working on my stereo, the battery was disconnected for close to 2 weeks. Hooking it back up only arm the alarm at night. Is it possible that my ecu resetted, and now I'm running rich?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

i believe, even if you're running rich, the fuel burns and exits the exhaust piping.

if you're smelling unburnt fuel...maybe it's a leak...have you ever removed the fuel line? the o-rings have been known to leak if you replace it...

as far as the connection to the heater function...i dunno.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it smell when car is warmed up?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 AM

check around the fuel rail, injectors, fuel pressure regulator. about two weeks ago a injector O-ring started leaking out of nowhere. could be a lot of things. especially since the weather change. so start the car, pop the hood, sniff around to see where it is most potent and visually check to see where the leak is coming from. very easy to do. goodluck
Old 11-30-2007, 09:57 PM

jyeung- Nope, fuel lines untouched.

drift- Yea, It disappears

rob- thanks for the heads up

Ill pop the hood tomarrow and check out the o-rings. First time around I didnt see any leaks. thanks for the advice, I'll post any findings...
Old 12-01-2007, 03:41 PM

its normal. my car does it too. it also depends on which way the wind is blowing. when you're on a cold start the cat hasnt warmed up yet so you're getting all the stuff you dont smell when it is warmed up coming out of your tailpipes. then when it warms up, it goes away!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:54 PM

I checked all the lines and injectors but didn't find any leaks...and now it seems to be getting worse because I'm starting to smell it when I stop at lights.

I'm stumped....
Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 PM

does it smell like gas soon as you open the hood? did you sniff around in there? Did you check the ground to see if there is gas dripping? Im sure what hes smelling isnt coming from the tail pipes. If you find nothing the only other thing to do is buy a fuel pressure guage and see how long it holds pressure for after you turn the car off. i Bet the leak is under the hood somewhere. It could be leaking from a bunch of different stuff. Im a tech for lexus and a car came in the other day for a fuel smell and a mouse ended up eating one of the return lines. so keep looking and sniffing. you will find it.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:47 PM

yea, it's definately coming from the drivers side, towards the back. nothings dripping on the ground. Fuel pressure test tomorrow
Old 12-02-2007, 06:40 PM

check return line coming off the fuel pressure regulator, rail on both ends, just get a good flashlight. mine wasnt spraying out of the injector, it was hard to find, the runner on the intake manifold was a little tanish color where it was leaking. goodluck.

Quick Reply: Smelling gas on cold start.