S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Smelling fuel from the cabin

Old 03-18-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would venture a guess of fuel filler neck as mentioned before or a faulty gasket on the fuel pump.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
I would venture a guess of fuel filler neck as mentioned before or a faulty gasket on the fuel pump.
Just took her out for a short thrashing to check for the odor again. This time I couldn't smell much (well in my garage I did for obvious reasons). When I came to stops after redlining it, I would wait and couldn't smell anything.

I did check under the car after start up and notice this piece of exhaust (where it splits into the 2 pipes leading to mufflers)

and this was spitting out of the exhaust tips (this may be normal but i never noticed it)

Is it normal for exhaust fumes to look like this? Clear liquid with a dot of grayish black in the middle?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:03 PM

Was it humid in your area? I'm going to assume its water/condensation with some carbon deposit. If thats gasoline or oil you have a problem. What does it smell like? feel like? is it at all oily/cold to touch? If its cold to the touch its probably gas (you'd smell it). If its oily, you're leaking some sort of oil from the beginning of the exhaust since theres no oil around that area.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macdaddies911
The past few days I've been smelling fuel while sitting in the cabin. I popped the hood and don't smell anything, I put my head under the car and again smell nothing. I checked the fuel cap and it's on good and tight, I don't know where it's coming from! It's not overwhelming but noticeable.
I smelled it, than took off the gas cap and re-tightened it and no more smell. Checked for any leaks and nada
Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Was it humid in your area? I'm going to assume its water/condensation with some carbon deposit. If thats gasoline or oil you have a problem. What does it smell like? feel like? is it at all oily/cold to touch? If its cold to the touch its probably gas (you'd smell it). If its oily, you're leaking some sort of oil from the beginning of the exhaust since theres no oil around that area.
I'll go check, I did JUST have my trans fluid and diff fluid changed 2 days ago.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 PM

I will redo the gas cap again (maybe the seal is busted). But i checked the mysterious fluid coming from the exhaust tips, I think the poster above was right and its condensation and carbon build up.

The scent of gasoline can't be detected at the front or back of the car, only around the door area and while standing not from under the car. Very weird.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:34 PM

could be trans fluid..but it should've burned off if you drove it hard-ish. Make sure the drain bolt isnt leaking and that the fill bolt is there. did you just fill up recently? If you filled it too much it might be leaky fuel vapor from the tank..
Old 03-18-2012, 10:16 PM

could be trans fluid..but it should've burned off if you drove it hard-ish. Make sure the drain bolt isnt leaking and that the fill bolt is there. did you just fill up recently? If you filled it too much it might be leaky fuel vapor from the tank..
I'll jack the car tomorrow, I did put gas in but only a half tank (I usually do this)
Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by macdaddies911
It's def coming from the rear, I'm thinking maybe the cat is deteriorating and that's why the scent is stronger. I've been hitting redline all day and quite frankly am not concerned about the car catching fire. That issue you all keep mentioning obviously had to do with the turbo kit.
I would most definitely be concerned with a fire issue. Do you know at what temp. gasoline burns? Around 500F. Happen to know how hot your exhaust is? How about a loose connection, since you have been tearing the car apart recently. Think a spark might be enough to ignite fuel vapors? I know it's fun to be invincible, but it's more fun to own an S2000 that isn't extra crispy. Stay safe.

Best of luck finding the issue.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by T-S.M.A.C
Originally Posted by macdaddies911' timestamp='1332117238' post='21520890
It's def coming from the rear, I'm thinking maybe the cat is deteriorating and that's why the scent is stronger. I've been hitting redline all day and quite frankly am not concerned about the car catching fire. That issue you all keep mentioning obviously had to do with the turbo kit.
I would most definitely be concerned with a fire issue. Do you know at what temp. gasoline burns? Around 500F. Happen to know how hot your exhaust is? How about a loose connection, since you have been tearing the car apart recently. Think a spark might be enough to ignite fuel vapors? I know it's fun to be invincible, but it's more fun to own an S2000 that isn't extra crispy. Stay safe.

Best of luck finding the issue.
I appreciate your concern but taking a few plastic panels out and taking of the soft top material did not cause this. I can pretty much guarantee that. Especially since the smell just appeared today and the top has been done for 5 days. If anything the fluid change is to blame, but i speculate its the gas cap due to the area of the smell.

Quick Reply: Smelling fuel from the cabin