S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Smelling fuel from the cabin

Old 03-18-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smelling fuel from the cabin

The past few days I've been smelling fuel while sitting in the cabin. I popped the hood and don't smell anything, I put my head under the car and again smell nothing. I checked the fuel cap and it's on good and tight, I don't know where it's coming from! It's not overwhelming but noticeable.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be extremely cautious to drive. There was a thread in forced induction where he lost the car to fire and the only warning was a mild fuel smell. Hope it's an easy fix, stay safe!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:44 PM

I'm na for now. Can't pinpoint the smell
Old 03-18-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Try sniffing around in the rear drivers side wheel well. I noticed this on my car last spring and happened to be on a group drive at the time and wandered around sniffing other cars once I had traced mine to that area and found 25% of the cars were doing the same thing. I have a feeling mine is associated with the Evap vacuum leak code my car is intermittently throwing although I asked other drivers if they were throwing codes and most weren't but still had the smell. I noticed it was worst in warmer weather as well
Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned

Yea, I would be very careful. Their was a guy with a white s2000 that he had just bought and he was driving home (after inspections by Honda) and started to get the same smell as you and he just put the widows down and kept going, the car caught on fire 10-20 minutes after.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Pull the trunk liners and poke your haad around the fuel fill pipe just in front of the rear driver side suspension point, it could be coming from the fill pipe which has hoses that lead to the evap system. If that is okay follow the hoses lower under the vehicle to the evap system itself.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:33 PM

It's def coming from the rear, I'm thinking maybe the cat is deteriorating and that's why the scent is stronger. I've been hitting redline all day and quite frankly am not concerned about the car catching fire. That issue you all keep mentioning obviously had to do with the turbo kit.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM

I remember you were working on your top a few days ago, maybe you disturbed something with the fuel pipe? Its right underneath the soft top tray and you might have bent or hit something while you were there.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by emdzey01
I remember you were working on your top a few days ago, maybe you disturbed something with the fuel pipe? Its right underneath the soft top tray and you might have bent or hit something while you were there.
i sure hope not!! I was pretty rough getting the panels back in though.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Pull the trunk liners and poke your haad around the fuel fill pipe just in front of the rear driver side suspension point, it could be coming from the fill pipe which has hoses that lead to the evap system. If that is okay follow the hoses lower under the vehicle to the evap system itself.
What should i look for specifically? What do i check if i do ID the smell there?

Originally Posted by emdzey01
I'll try to look around there too

Quick Reply: Smelling fuel from the cabin