S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Smell of gas during start up

Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell of gas during start up

My S has been sitting for the last couple of weeks. When I turn the car on I smell gasoline. I can't for the life of me remember if the car used to do that. I assume it didn't or I would have noticed it before. Does anybody else have this issue? Is it normal or an indicator of something? Could it be related to the valves needing to be adjusted or might? Just a cold cat?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a leak somewhere. Have u try n see where the smell is the strongest? Have u done anything to it before u parked it? Is it stock?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by franky
There's a leak somewhere. Have u try n see where the smell is the strongest? Have u done anything to it before u parked it? Is it stock?

It is stock just a CAI. Nothing was done to it. The smell is strongest from the exhaust pipes and is temporary. There is no visible leaks anywhere.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM

I've had my S for a week now. One time I had turned the Fan on (No AC) immediately after starting up and a strong smell of gasoline came through.

Without the fan, no smell of gas at all even when starting up inside the garage.

I need to check to see if I can reproduce it... could have been a fluke.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start the car and keep an eye on the bottom part of the injectors. The o-rings can leak.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by crisskro
Start the car and keep an eye on the bottom part of the injectors. The o-rings can leak.
Why would leaky fuel injectors lead to a smell in the exhaust? If fuel was leaking wouldn't it be more likely to be coming from the engine compartment?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:31 AM

I think you have a leaky injector that may be getting stuck open, but I don't think it's leaking into the engine bay, I think it's leaking into your cylinder. Try running some Chevron Techron through on your next tank.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
I think you have a leaky injector that may be getting stuck open, but I don't think it's leaking into the engine bay, I think it's leaking into your cylinder. Try running some Chevron Techron through on your next tank.
A leaky injector. Didn't think of that. I will give it a shot this weekend.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 AM

If the Chevron Techron doesn't work, try a bottle of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant. The first one, Techron, is basically a cleaner, it helps remove deposits in your fuel system, valves, and cylinder. If some sort of deposit has worked itself into the fuel injector, then hopefully the Techron will break it down small enough so that it can be expelled. Then if that doesn't work, the Lucas UCL is basically an oil that will hopefully lubricate the deposit enough so that again, it will be expelled.

If neither of those work, then I got nada.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
If the Chevron Techron doesn't work, try a bottle of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant. The first one, Techron, is basically a cleaner, it helps remove deposits in your fuel system, valves, and cylinder. If some sort of deposit has worked itself into the fuel injector, then hopefully the Techron will break it down small enough so that it can be expelled. Then if that doesn't work, the Lucas UCL is basically an oil that will hopefully lubricate the deposit enough so that again, it will be expelled.

If neither of those work, then I got nada.

I appreciate the help. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

Quick Reply: Smell of gas during start up