S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SMALL RIP FORMING IN ROOF

Old 10-23-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMALL RIP FORMING IN ROOF

So I've got a small rip----one centimeter, maybe---forming on my soft top. Passenger side. Apparently at a spot that's typical for that kind of thing----right over one of the top's metal ribs.

It's not a hole yet; it's more of a crack, but you can tell that it's on its way.

A guy at the dealer recommended AGAINST a Honda replacement top. He said a "Robins" top (http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/index.php) was superior and cheaper and came with a warranty.

So my questions are:

1) Is there anything preventative that can be done to slow down the spread of the "crack" that's forming?

2) Any opinions about a straight Honda replacement top versus a Robbins? (Or any other.)

Thanks, guys!
Old 10-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a crack starting on the passenger side in the corner as well. I went to the fabric store, bought some outdoor fabric + fabric glue and patched it from the inside. Since it didn't actually create a hole there was nothing to patch from the outside.

No way I am going to buy a new top until my current one gives me a good reason to. You will always be prone to small rips and holes, then of course there's the possibility of something falling on it and ripping it or a thief coming along. I just don't see a reason to replace the whole thing when you can patch the small rips.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^yep, iron on fabric patches on the inside of the top helps a ton
Old 10-23-2010, 10:59 AM

Ah! THAT'S a relief. The guy said there wasn't any prevention to be done, and it sort of felt as if he were just trying to sell me something, so it's great to hear that you do something about it.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:44 AM

Any specific recommendations for kinds of patches or glue???

And does an IRON-ON really do it? Like the kind you'd get at a drug store?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Here's what i did to prevent such rips in those areas. I love driving top down but often times i drive with top up so i frequently open and close the convertible top. In the areas which are prone to rip due to the sharp metal bends, i put a strip of cardboard right along. I know it sounds gay but i would rather it that way than having a torn top. Many people have told me that the top still looks flawless
Old 10-23-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Heidi,Oct 23 2010, 10:59 AM
Ah! THAT'S a relief. The guy said there wasn't any prevention to be done, and it sort of felt as if he were just trying to sell me something, so it's great to hear that you do something about it.

Thanks!
Doesn't sound like he was trying to sell you something if recommended AGAINST a factory replacement.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually created small silicone patches on mine as it's tearing on both sides as well as along the rear of the top. Works much better than iron on patches or material patches.

Down the road, if you choose to buy a new top, I would go in the direction of GAHH or Electron Top. You can get Robbins or EZ ON but those are cheap. GAHH carries a 5 year warranty with a lifetime warranty on the bond between the glass and top itself. Electron carries a 6 year warranty but they manufacture their tops with extra material in those "rub" spots so that it rubs that instead of directly on the top, giving the top extra life. Granted, both of these tops are considerably more but you get what you pay for.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A tip for you:

-When you apply the iron on patches, use a lighter instead of an iron. Hold the patch up to the top and heat with the lighter for 2 seconds and then just press firmly against the top to bond it.

-To prevent more wear, patch up the top in the areas where it makes contact with the frame right bove the driver/pass seats. This will look much better than cardboard lol
Old 10-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Oh man. More great stuff. Thanks again, guys.

Regarding the "selling me" the Robbins top: it wasn't a nasty hard-sell or similar, and true he was recommending a cheaper product, but he no doubt wanted me to pay the hours of labor involved in affixing a whole new convertible top rather than have me patch it on my own---about which I asked him directly.

Which is just a long way of saying: I'm awful grateful to get all these great DIY ideas.

PS oh, I've been seeing some stuff online about sealing a rip with the kind of glue that you use to repair SCUBA wetsuits and so on. It seems that you don't need any patching material as such, you just apply some sticky tape to the OUTSIDE of the top and then glue the torn bits together on the inside.

Allegedly the glue then dries in a semi-flexible but permanent way.

Has anyone done this????

Quick Reply: SMALL RIP FORMING IN ROOF