S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Small Leak Near or On Tranny

Old 05-17-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Leak Near or On Tranny

Hello folks. First off my car is a 2005 model. Currently has ~19,500 miles on it. 100% stock. No mods whatsoever.

I just noticed after work that I'm developing a small leak on or around my transmission.

Small puddle under my car right underneath the tranny:

Jacked up the car and noticed a small drip right under the tranny where it mates up with the engine. If you look closely at the picture, you can actually see a small drip forming.

Looked a little further and noticed that my Clutch Slave Cylinder was half covered in oil:

Checked out my clutch fluid resevoir and it appears that theres ample fluid in there:

Since the fluid on my floor is oily brown, I don't know if its transmission oil or clutch fluid oil. Do you think that maybe my clutch slave cylinder is bad and its leaking onto the transmission and then onto the floor? Now that the car is just sitting, the dripping of fluid has stopped.

Any comments, suggestions, word of advice? I'm taking my car into the dealership tomorrow.

Any replies are welcomed. Thanks in advance!!

Kenny
Old 05-17-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like your hydraulic actuator is leaking. You can see the fluid where the rubber grommet meets the tranny. Have you checked your tranny fluid level?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:36 PM

If the fluid has a grippy texture to it, it's brake/clutch reservior fluid. Your tranny fluid shouldn't be that dark either. Looks like it leaked for a bit and slowed down.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by John_Z,May 17 2006, 08:31 PM
That looks like your hydraulic actuator is leaking. You can see the fluid where the rubber grommet meets the tranny. Have you checked your tranny fluid level?
Thanks for the reply. I have not checked the tranny fluid level. Didn't want the dealer giving me any slack for removing the fill bolt and thinking that i messed with the tranny.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2005 - warranty - use it!
Old 05-18-2006, 02:31 AM

^^^agreed, time for a warranty claim.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:49 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Looks like engine oil, probably a rear main crankshaft oil seal.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:18 AM

If you have time, clean with spray brake cleaner, then spray with a talcum-type spray, and trace the path of the leak.

Sometimes it's better to have a leak localized before you go the mechanic (unless it's Billman).

Regards,
BD
Old 05-18-2006, 10:45 AM

Update

Just got back from the Honda dealership and the technician and service advisor stated that the probable cause of the leak is a possible failure in the rear main & input shaft seals (Slows2k online diagnosis ).

They're ordering the following parts:

91214-PCX-003 (oil seal)
91216-PG1-005 (oil seal)

Looks like my car is going under the knife. Since the parts won't arrive till late tuesday, they had me pick up the car. They told me that since its a small leak, I'm okay to drive it for now. Just to err on the side of caution, I'll just let the car sit in my garage till my wednesday scheduled appointment.

Anybody experience these types of failure? Diagnosis sounds about right? Thanks so far for the responses. Much appreciated.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by S2KenC,May 18 2006, 10:45 AM
Update

Just got back from the Honda dealership and the technician and service advisor stated that the probable cause of the leak is a possible failure in the rear main & input shaft seals (Slows2k online diagnosis ).

They're ordering the following parts:

91214-PCX-003 (oil seal)
91216-PG1-005 (oil seal)

Looks like my car is going under the knife. Since the parts won't arrive till late tuesday, they had me pick up the car. They told me that since its a small leak, I'm okay to drive it for now. Just to err on the side of caution, I'll just let the car sit in my garage till my wednesday scheduled appointment.

Anybody experience these types of failure? Diagnosis sounds about right? Thanks so far for the responses. Much appreciated.
I have never heard of this.. I wonder if thats really what it is.

Quick Reply: Small Leak Near or On Tranny