S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

small hole in top

Old 07-26-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small hole in top

hey people,
I'm closing my top today and I look up and see a small hole in my top (right above my left shoulder). It's pretty small, maybe slightly bigger than a safety pin or a paper clip. Besides getting a whole new top, anyone ever dealt with this? I'm thinking there is some kind of patch that I can put on the inside of the top. I will probably look at getting a new top also, but if I can get it fixed then tht would at least save me for some time until i save up and get a new top.
Thanks for any ideas.

Jay
Old 07-26-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got mine patched at a local upholstery shop for $20. They got some vinyl and glued it on the inside of my top. This is a common wear spot for the top, you probably have one on the passenger side forming as well. If your hole is big enough you can get it restitched, just shop around for a good upholstery shop.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 PM

There are several replies to this in the search, if you can get it to work, which might be of help to you. I have the same problem and a top repairman told me to use Superglue GEL until I get ready for a new top. Make sure it is the GEL! Only put it on the outside and do not spread it out. It looks terrible, but it keeps the rain out. I just did 6,000 miles in seven days through the rainstorms in Texas and the heat of Arizona and Utah. It never did leak.
I have glued patches on the inside, but they all came off when the top was put down a couple of times. I used the correct little iron and patches and it did not work. The Gel has been on for about six months.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not use the GEL superglue to hold the patches?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:58 AM

Thanks guys.. i will look into these solutions and let you know what I end up doing and how it works.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is caused by a sharp elbow joint on the frame rubbing on the hood when it is down.

If you leave it down a lot or use a hard top it will happen quicker.

Check your frame or do this:-

Prevention is better than mending, it is a pretty common problem.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:47 PM

Thanks. what is that black patch made of?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This will happen quicker with a hard-top installed? Really?
Now you've got me worried since I've just added a hardtop and thought my worries were over.
I guess next time I take my top off I'll do a few of the preventive patches that you've done.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Called a upolstery place and told him I want to patch up my top, he said that there's no way to hold the patch to the vinyl top for any decent period of time.

What will work?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Jul 27 2007, 07:22 PM
Called a upolstery place and told him I want to patch up my top, he said that there's no way to hold the patch to the vinyl top for any decent period of time.

What will work?
i had mine patched 3 months ago and it's still holding up fine. they used some sort of spray adhesive made for vinyl. maybe try another shop?

Quick Reply: small hole in top