S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Small grinding sound from back

Old 10-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small grinding sound from back

I sometimes hear a small grinding sound coming from the back, regardless if I am accelerating or just coasting. I took it to the dealer today but as I was driving with the technician with me, the sound didn't come out. I think the sound only comes out when I first start up the car and it hasn't warmed up yet, but I'm not quite sure. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Kind of sounds like metal sand paper rubbing against each other, hard to describe the sound.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It could be a ton of different things based on the limited description. Can you post a vid so we can hear the sound?

Does the sound go away when you are on the brakes?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:09 PM

I'll try to record the sound later when I go out. I think it does go away when I brake but it usually doesn't last long enough to the point I need to brake. It happens more when its coasting or accelerating.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 PM

A friend of mine sat in the car with me, and though he isn't knowledgeable about cars, his insight gave me a new perspective on the problem. He said there could be a chance something is loose in the back. I think the sound is more towards something loose spinning rather than grinding. I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow, Mandalay Auto, that someone recommended tomorrow to see if they can find the problem. (I went today but couldn't find the shop).

Also, it doesn't only happen during cold engine. I heard the sound in all gears except for first. I think it's coming from the rear pass side. My car also kind of moves toward the right when I'm going straight with no hands on the wheel. With 1 or 2 hands on the wheel, the slight movement to the right isn't noticeable at all.

Are there known problems regarding things similar to mine? Like if things tend to get loose or something? Maybe after modding? The only visual mods I can see from the previous owner is some kind of blue bar connecting some part of the rear wheel area (another friend told me it might be a toe bar thing), and the car was lowered on Tein springs.

Sorry, I'm really noob. xP