S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sluggish S2K?

Old 06-30-2002, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sluggish S2K?

I think I saw a post somewhere about someone talking about the '02 Vtec compared to the other years. Was it that the '02 power band seemed more evenly distributed? Maybe it's a plecebo, but for some reason I don't feel Vtec kicking in very hard on my car. Possible lemon? Maybe I need to put more miles on it. I have about 1800 miles and i'm still running factory lubes. *Haven't gone synthetic, because it's still too early to change* The car also doesn't seem to pull as hard on the freeway as I expected *from what I've heard*. Should I get my engine checked right now? Or wait until I have more miles on the car? If I do get it checked, what will the dealer actually do to my car? How long should I expect to be without my car? Information and help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not enough pull? you get a kick in vtec after about 5K miles. until then, you are winding up the engine all the way to 9k, right? if not, that would be the easy explaination.

don't sweat it and think 'lemon' because you dont feel a kick in it. a lemon is a term used on a car that must have multiple repairs within a given time period on a new car. definately not a lemon.
Old 07-01-2002, 03:18 AM

Are you having some hot weather out there in the Bay area? You may just be experiencing the typical hot weather loss from the conservative S2000 engine management system.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:32 AM

11:1 compression - 91 octane - and hot/humid weather are a recipe for \"sluggish\" performance. Drive your car in the evening when the weather is more adequate and see if there is a driving difference.

Second option, go dyno and see if you are dynoing extremely low.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:32 AM

Thanks guys. I'll look into the dyno...
Old 07-01-2002, 10:18 AM

i can tell you that VTEC on the S isn't nearly has as drastic a change as VTEC on an B-series motor or even an H-series motor. The early somewhat flat nature of the torque curve masks the change in VTEC. it will get better as the motor matures.

----
as a side note..i think it's pretty faithless how quickly new owners are calling their S a lemon. ive seen a lot of posts about how bad the car grinds and what not. i have this feeling that the S is more sensitive to bad shifting. it's a very sophisticated system that functions well only when the driver is able to drive it well. give the motor a chance to break in before you go redlining it at every chance. give the transmission a chance to break in before you slam the shifter into gears. learn to time your shifts and rev-match your downshifts.

finally... i've read a lot about people downshifting to 1st. why on this green Earth are you downshifting to 1st?! there's no regenerative braking on this car. rarely will you need to slow to 0-5mph then suddenly find a situation where you're in dire need of 1st gear speed. for those of you who consistently downshift to first to slow down.. do that to your Hyundais but not your $32k roadster....
Old 07-01-2002, 10:54 AM
jzr

Originally posted by SECRET AP1
finally... i've read a lot about people downshifting to 1st. why on this green Earth are you downshifting to 1st?!
In autocrosses there are frequently corners that necessitate the use of first gear. Pretty much any corner leading onto a straight that slows you down to 20 or lower is a time to use first. Double-clutch downshifting in this instance is particularly useful.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jzr
[B]In autocrosses there are frequently corners that necessitate the use of first gear.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2002 and boy does it kick at vtec....It is awesome.....Even when its hot outside ....above 90 degrees its sluggish until 6000 rpm then bamb i really fell the vtec hit . But yes take a cruise in the early evening whenits like 65.....you will return home happy and be like i have the baddest car in the land.
i LOVE TAKING SOMEONE out for there first "s" ride i cruise around fast but never vtec.....they always reply wow nice car very
quick has some power....then i saw ok lets vtec.......Then they are like holy Sh*t......wow......Dam....I do notice that as my car ages it seems to pull harder. Plus takes a few thousand miles to get really use to the gear box and clutch...after 600 miles when i started some vtecing i would slip the cluch a few times not use to it.....i never slip now...just takes some getting use to . I have mastered the chirp from first to second...more like a bark or ya just hear the wheels slipping for a second or two. Take it easy read the posts...alot of good info here.....be gentle when shes a baby.