S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Slop when manually moving the front wheels?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slop when manually moving the front wheels?

I had the car jacked up to change my oil and out of curiosity I started manually turning my front wheels from side to side. I was surprised that there was some slop from the point when I started to move the front wheels to the point when the steering mechanism had any positive engagement. The wheels swiveled more than I think they should (more than a few degrees) before there was a thunk and the steering rack started providing resistance.

Is this normal?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:25 AM

well it depends how much there is. there should be none or almost none.

so likely you need either an inner or outer tie rod. or if it goes up and down too, then you need a bearing.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:45 PM

There is definitely more than almost none. The tire can rotate around 5-10 degrees before the steering rack engages. The movement is not up and down. I am taking it the the dealership on Friday to have it looked at so I am trying to figure out what is 'normal' I always hate it when the service tech says 'it is normal' or 'they all do that' when in is clearly not the case.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:49 PM

it sounds like either inner or outer tie rods.

have someone wiggle the tire and look to see where the slop is. if it is in the ball joint on the end of the tie rod right where it attaches to your steering knuckle just change it your self. all you need is either a 17 or 19mm wrench/socket. just count turns off so you can put it back on the same amount. and then make sure to get it alligned.

i would guess the parts from the parts store would be less than $50, and the dealer will charge you prolly like $150...

if the slop is from inside the boot on the rack, its likely the inner tie rod. these are a bit harder and unless you are pretty good i would suggest having it done at a shop.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 AM

I hae the car at the dealership yesterday to look at this issue. Apparently with the ignition off there is normally some slop the steering mechanism and when the can is on the slop will go away.

It turns out the noise I was hearing (which I incorrectly attributed to the steering rack) was a sway bar bushing that was not tightened completely. The dealership will replace both bushings for about $200.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats intersting. i would have never guessed that but wiht electric vs hydraulic poewr steering it makes sense.