S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Slipping clutch?

Old 09-18-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping clutch?

I had posted this before and had received replies that it could be an improper breaking in of the clutch ( glazing?) now everything has been replaced as listed below .... Anyone else have anything like this happen?

It all started here, for those that don't already know:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=232172

I picked the car up on Wednesday the 15th. They say the noise is still there, but I'm going to wait till the clutch is broken in -- 200 miles so far. This is the list of what they did:

-first sprayed the belt down with silicone
-replaced the belt
-replaced the pulley wheel, water pump wheel and tensioner
-replaced clutch, clutch plate throw out bearing and flywheel

All these parts weren't in stock and had to be ordered one at a time, overnight. It had taken awhile ... Then I had to wait for room in the shop so they could work on the car. (Took two weeks for an appointment. Go figure) Waited another 2 weeks for them to finish working on the car.
All this, and they say that the noise is still there. They had the DSM look at and listen to the car, and did searches in their Honda Tech Service logs, and said that the car is sound.

I'll baby it for the first 500 miles, then find out what's going on. If I think that something is still wrong, I'll go somewhere else.
The noise, that I'm talking about, happens with aggressive shifting at high RPM's or if you lug the car at slow speeds. They said the belt was slipping, but it all started when the clutch plate was replaced on a TSB under warranty.
But the icing on the cake is, when I picked our baby up, the front wheels were damaged. The clear coat was chipped. They offered to do the repair right away, but we're talking another 2-4 days in the shop, this late in the driving season. OUCH! After talking with the service tech, who has been very calming throughout the whole ordeal, said that I can bring the wheels to be repaired when we put our baby to bed for the winter. The first snow is when we'll say goodnight to our "00" and then we'll have the wheels repaired.
If anyone out there has had this noise problem, please post it not only for my peace of mind, but Honda is interested in getting this solved and will post it in their system to help other S owners
Old 09-18-2004, 05:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just read every post you made in that other thread and I noticed that you never actually described the noise. Can you give complete details now, so that we can have something to go on?

What kind of noise? Where does it seem to come from? Under what circumtances can you make it happen? Under what conditions can you NOT make it happen?
Old 09-19-2004, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry,
The noise is a squeal when letting out the clutch during high RPM shifts, fast acceleration or passing and feels like it's coming from the trans / clutch area, again the dealer says it's the belt, also when traveling in a parking lot at a slow speed revving a little and letting the clutch out I get the same noise, and it is not the tires.
The car is fine when I baby it no noise at all, slow to moderate shifting and acceleration is OK
When I posted this the last time you had suggested that it could be a glazing of the clutch, so I babied it for around 700 miles and still had an issue, sense then the dealer has done all this work. I still need to put on some more miles before I start getting on the car a little more to see if the noise is still present for myself. Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Lou
Old 09-19-2004, 02:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Is this squeal ALWAYS associated with the use of the clutch? If so, then I'd say you should do a little investigation into the master or slave clutch cylinder. The plungers in one of these could be squeaking when moved during certain conditions. Also, it wouldn't hurt to liberally grease the release fork.

Failing this, I would still suspect the clutch disc springs. Maybe they didn't change it as they said.