S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Slight hesitation at low RPM

Old 11-07-2012, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for this thread as i am having the same problem. Annoys the hell out of me! Has anyone fixed this with replacing the o2 sensor?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by redwing497
Hi Gang.

Got my '07 AP2 last week and finally made it to the DMV yesterday for registration. I'm officially in love Anyway, the hesitation issue. Say I'm driving along and traffic in front of me comes to a stop. I coast in neutral but then traffic starts moving again before I can stop. At this point, say I'm at about 11 MPH, I put it in 2nd gear and I start to accelerate again. What happens is, it starts going but after a few hundred RPMs, it hesitates, then starts going again and everything is cool.

Seems to happen only at low RPM between 1500-2500 although I haven't gotten a chance to give this car a romp yet. I did a little research and some older threads suggest heat soak but I'm not quite sure that's what it is. Others say your close to idle speed and when you press the gas the ECU doesn't really know what to do yet. Another possibility is that it's just a quirk w/the DBW system. I don't know.

Any help would be great. I'm hoping I don't have some sort of problem with it, cuz if I do then it's

2007 w/31k miles

Thanks Gang!
Should of bought an AP1 lol jk jk. IAC valve or stock tune is my guess
Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 PM

bump.... I have an 06 and have been chasing this issue for some time now. so far I've changed a few of things:

1. Engine, tranny and dif mounts. no help
2. New APP sensor. no help
3. 2 valve adjustments. no help
4. MAP whack. no help
5. Cleaned throttle plate. no help
6. New spark plugs, re installed stock intake & exhaust. no help

I'm running a berk high flow cat which ill be replacing with a stock cat here soon. I highly doubt this will fix the issue but I could be wrong so I will report back if the issue goes away. I will also look into the O2 sensor(s).

Anyone out there that has cured the problem please chime in and share the love
Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 AM

2000 AP1 here, can confirm same thing, 2nd gear throttle through 1500-2500 experience slight hesitation with light to moderate throttle sometimes in 3rd as well if I don't shift with high enough RPM. As others have said I've just learned to live with it by increasing throttle earlier, being aggressive on the throttle when kicking off, or shifting at 4-5k rpm. I've also found when moving off in 1st (had it in 1st as well) if I'm still keeping the clutch slightly engaged in traffic I don't get the issue, but without clutch I get the issue.

It's like heat soak, but not like heat soak, as I'll get it driving out of the garage after the car has sat overnight.

Might be something worth while looking into as I need to clean the throttle body anyway, got that annoying 3k rpm whistle.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM

I fixed my problem by replacing the Map sensor.

I tapped it, cleaned it and even tested it and everything checked out OK.

I bought a ebay MAP sensor to try for £30 and now the car runs sweet with no bogging, I don't expect it to last long with being so cheap but it does have a 3 year warranty. I will buy a genuine Honda in summer.

Good luck guys
Old 03-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by redwing497
Hi Gang.

Got my '07 AP2 last week and finally made it to the DMV yesterday for registration. I'm officially in love Anyway, the hesitation issue. Say I'm driving along and traffic in front of me comes to a stop. I coast in neutral but then traffic starts moving again before I can stop. At this point, say I'm at about 11 MPH, I put it in 2nd gear and I start to accelerate again. What happens is, it starts going but after a few hundred RPMs, it hesitates, then starts going again and everything is cool.

Seems to happen only at low RPM between 1500-2500 although I haven't gotten a chance to give this car a romp yet. I did a little research and some older threads suggest heat soak but I'm not quite sure that's what it is. Others say your close to idle speed and when you press the gas the ECU doesn't really know what to do yet. Another possibility is that it's just a quirk w/the DBW system. I don't know.

Any help would be great. I'm hoping I don't have some sort of problem with it, cuz if I do then it's

2007 w/31k miles

Thanks Gang!
Its very likley all of the above, a bit of heat soak and cork of the DBW at that rpm, also and likely the main issue is your asking too much of the motor at that rpm, you should be in first gear, not second.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Its very likley all of the above, a bit of heat soak and cork of the DBW at that rpm, also and likely the main issue is your asking too much of the motor at that rpm, you should be in first gear, not second.
It's a jerky ride getting in and out of 1st at that speed especially after coasting unless you're riding the clutch. I hope for his sake that he managed to solve his issue, it's almost 2 years ago now.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 AM

also have been chasing this problem ever since I got the car about a year ago. I have a MY08 and have kind of come to the conclusion that this is just a characteristic of this car. Its not a major problem just insanely annoying every time it happens. That low RPM hesitation just bugs me so much. When I brought it to Honda they tried to charge me something like $150 just to even look at the car so I just said alright F that they probably will tell me nothing is wrong since there is no MIL.

If someone finds a solution to this problem please post it up!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

As many have stated here, I believe the OP is experiencing a hesitation inherent in the DBW software from Honda. I have an '06, and experience the same thing. As someone said, its not heat soak, but its possible many things can make it worse, including possibly heat soak.

Something else that can apparently make it worse is exhaust back pressure. When I bought my car it had a junk aftermarket CAT on it, one of those universal things that someone welded in place of the stock. The car ran fine, with no perceptable loss of flow at high rpm (based on how it drives now that I have a stock CAT in place). I imagine the junk CAT did not flow as well as stock, but not enough to make a difference I could notice on the butt dyno.

But ever since I got the stock CAT back on there, the DBW hesitation issues have greatly diminised. Before it was really annoying to basic drivability. Now I hardly notice it.

My conclusion is that the software and sensors that are part of the DBW are very sensitive to back pressure. Perhaps in their efforts for low emissions and good fuel economy, the programming tries to err on the leaner side of things. Perhaps its not a lag in the opening of the butterfly, but a lack of enough fuel supplied initially. I can see Honda trying to make efforts to get good part throttle fuel economy, but care more for performance at WOT. This would explain why we only see issues at part throttle.

Regardless of why, I believe backpressure plays a role in the severity of the hesitation. I now have a stock exhaust (and always had stock intake, stock airbox, etc). So I am curious if perhaps we could find a correlation between those (with DBW, '06 & newer) who have intake or exhaust mods (with stock fuel mapping), and the severity of the hesitation.

For those of you with DBW who have an annoying level of hesitation, do you have any mods that would intake/exhaust flow?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:22 AM

nope... car is all stock for me.

Quick Reply: Slight hesitation at low RPM