S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Slight hesitation at low RPM

Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, i have an 02' Ap1 and have this exact problem!
It happens all the time. you go to take off and the car studders for a split sec, then its as if all power is taken away. you can even push the petle to the floor and it wont respond until about 5 sec later. it happens a lot from takeing off from a stop, but happens everytime when trying to take of from a roll. it super frustrating and i have no idea what to do. ive almost gotten hit because it will do it as i pull out into traffic and i cant get it to move. the only way i can get it to not do this from a stop, is too hold the revs up and slowly let the clutch out(like really slow), but im obviously going to ruin my clutch doing this.

It deffinatly feels like fuel is being cut from the engine, like traction control one other cars ive driven, but my 02 doest have VSA or any other traction control.

Its DEFFINATLY NOT HEAT SOAK, it happens on my way to work at 4am when i live 10 mins from work, so unless the car can get hot enought in that short time, that early in the morning when its pretty cold out my bet is its not heat soak

Ive done a Map Wack, zip tie, cleaned out the iacv, and the throttle body. but still happens.

Im glad im not the only one whose experiancing this, and i hope theres a fix.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 AM

Same here too. My AF leans out (20+ off scale) so I let off the gas and she comes back to life. This only happens to me when I idle for awhile, cold or hot outside. I recently put on a vented hood, which helped not one bit.
Seems to me my problem cleared up after I did the sandblast trick to the TCT. I have a new oem one I am going to put on it and see what happens.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM

Not to thread jack but what brand did you guys go with in replacing the tps. Omnipower seems to be out of stock and unsure about other brands
Old 07-18-2012, 05:15 AM

So i finally found the problem with mine. after months of searching on my own and no luck, i got a CEL and found it was for my O2 sensor, when i went to check it i noticed the the sensor was physically broken! after looking i saw that the insides of my catalytic converter was pluged and broken, and when i steped on the gas it would rattle around pluging the exit. eventually it hit my o2 sensor enough to break it! i replaced the cat and it fixed my loss of power on take off. i was so busy thinking it was on the intake side, ie not enough gas or air, didn't even occur to me that it could be on the exaust side. everyone with this problem should take a look at their cat. i hope this helps everyone with this frustrating problem!
Old 07-21-2012, 06:01 AM

My 02' AP1 does the same thing, and I'm willing to bet money it has to do with the loop transition from 02 feedback. I've read that the data table can be modified with flashpro, and that's why 06'-up owners are able to "debug" their ECU and run closed loop full time, eliminating this issue. I've learned to deal with it also.

My 2 cents..
Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the exact same problem as described for the past 2 months. Whether it's hot or cold outside, the S would "lag" or "hesitate" if I accelerated while idling between 3k-4k RPM. It would get bad at some points the car would jerk like an automatic would jerk when it can't figure out what gear it needs to be in .

So anyways, I reset my ECU (unplugged fuse) and after that, now being day #2, i haven't had any hesitation issues and can SANELY drive to work without getting annoyed by the hesitation.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 AM

I had a TINY bit of hesitation. Fuel system cleaner via fuel rail fixed it
Old 09-06-2012, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ms32s2k
I just bought an 02' AP1 yesterday and my car is doing the same thing. If I am slowing down for traffic and rolling about 11 - 13 in second, and then give it ~1/3 throttle, the car kind of hesitates and jerks for 3 - 4 seconds then its fine once it gets closer to 20 MPH. Doesn't happen all the time maybe 20% of the time.

This happened this morning here in NY, its 65 degrees out here, and I wasn't driving hard at all so its not heat soak, or a lack of torque either that doesn't make any sense.

I am gradual and light on the throttle, I have been driving manual for 15 years its not user error.

It's something else other than heat soak or any torque issues. No check engine light.

I just did a search and stumbled on this thread so I'll keep an eye out to see if any solutions come up.

Originally Posted by hybridb18
I have a 02 AP1 with this same issue for years. Owned the car since 30K, at 46K now. At low rpm 1500-2500ish it will have a loss of power/stutter for a split second, doesnt matter what gear its in. This has nothing to do with Drive by Wire, or VSA.... My AP1 has neither of those features. Its not a fuel issue, ive tried 91, 92, 93, and 94 all different brands. Ive changed out the spark plugs with factory NGK gapped correctly. Ive just learned to live with the issue.
I also have this problem on my '02. Have absolutely know idea what it is.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NM, the problem came back after a couple days. I think I'm gonna try to bring it into a stealership and see if they'll cover it under warranty.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We need to keep this thread going, I've been looking for a solution to low speed kangarooing/hesiation for some time now.
I have a none DBW European MY06, PRM Intake, and have had the car for nearly two years. The problem has started to occur more frequently lately.

As per some others, I say that this is NOT heatsoak related as it happens on the way to work at 6am in England (brrr!). I will be in a queue, try and accelerate gently but the car bogs then jumps. I have to dip the clutch, get some revs to clear it.

I also now have an Ultragauge to monitor the MAP sensor, intake temp, throttle position, engine load etc. None of these parameters show any erratic values, but I still get the problem.

Have tried so far:

Cleaning IAC valve several times.
Throttle body cleaning (made the car smoother to rev/drive but still had kangarooing in traffic).
Valve clearances done, plus ECU reset.
Spark plugs in good condition.

Interesting regarding the O2 sensor though, will take a look at that thanks CountCorbin

Quick Reply: Slight hesitation at low RPM