S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Slight hesitation at low RPM

Old 09-10-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2007 owner here, having the exact same problem as described. Def not heat soak since it does it right when leaving the house (like when slightly accelerating after going slowly through an intersection in second gear without stopping.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by thelemur

I just want to confirm that this description above is exactly what it feels like. I think some people have different issues that are similar, but this issue above seems to be very specific and identically described by many others. My car is a 2007 with only 45k miles on it and it's not heat related or low end torque related. The people that are saying it's from one of those reasons probably have not experienced this specific issue. There is a definitely a common problem going on, but it's hard to differentiate it from other similar issues.
This. There are other issues that are similar enough that every thread on this ends up clogged with 'me too' posts that are really a different issue.

Its intermittent. Its a dbw issue. It only happens at part throttle, low-ish rpm. It comes, then it goes. Its more annoying than anything else. If your symptoms are different, you have a different issue, not a worse case of this issue.

Cold cures it (or at least lesse s it). A tune fixes it (Hondata, etc). Apparently even a cel cures it (causing oem mapping to change). There is no easy fix since it seems its an issue in the ecu mapping itself.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Its intermittent. Its a dbw issue. It only happens at part throttle, low-ish rpm. It comes, then it goes. Its more annoying than anything else. If your symptoms are different, you have a different issue, not a worse case of this issue.
Exactly!!
Old 02-14-2015, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently had this issue myself. I live in the uk, currently our temperatures are around 5 degrees celcius and lower at times...its pretty cold.
This particular problem (feels like vsa kicking in as others have stated) is NOT a heatsoak issue, and its not a characteristic of the car, ive owned mine for 5 years now and is a recent issue.
I know some people do get heatsoak which can be overcome, but this is not the same.

i first thought it was a dodgy map since supercharging, i didnt have it straight away, it came on suddenly after approx 4 months since supercharging. I have had everything checked/redun from a reputable tuner. He found through hondata software that when coming off the throttle the car feeds less fuel than is required for what is literally a second or two, so when you come back on the throttle there is a delay with the car being fed fuel....hence the hesitation/kangarooing. Its definately a fault somewhere and not heatsoak as I have been shown this on his computer whilst tweaking/checking the mapping on the ecu, its everytime you lift off the throttle completely, wether in gear or not.
Weve contacted hondata thinking it could be software related, and sorted with an update, they disagree. They said it could be a dodgy o2 sensor, my tuner thinks its not, as everyting else is perfectly fine.

So, what i have found through research is that some people on older cars ap1 for you US guys/girls have sorted it at times with cleaning iac, throttle body etc.
Others have found that it was the map sensor, a map whack isnt ideal, obviously ots damaged/faulty and needs replacing...this has also fixed it for some, others have fixed it with o2 sensor replacement.

Over the next couple of weeks, im going to try and fix mine, now that i believe it not to be the tune or software.
My car is a later dbw model, so i dont think i have the option of cleaning out some of the mentioned components, but ill do what i can then move on to spending money on replacement map sensors etc from there. Im really hopeful on it being sorted with a new map sensor, ive found most cases of this have been fixed with this!

I have learnt a technique to driving it without the kangaroo effect, with feeding/feathering the clutch with each gear change, its not ideal but it gets me around without embarrassment, sometimes blipping the throttle with the clutch in Before engaging gear is required lol.
Ive gone on for a bit, but thos issue seems to have been around for a long time, with all models. And some people shrug it off with heat soak, which it isn't, just thought id put my findings out there.
MB is a uk user that put up a list of possible fixes for early models a long time ago, its worth a read. Hes still a s2ki member and is on regularly.
Hope this helps, if i find a solution i will be back, if i can find this thread again lol
Thanks.
Jay
Old 02-15-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
I think i know whats going on. When you shift into second gear, your at a very low RPM where the car is not producing much power or torque. You press on the gas to accelerate but the car has trouble because its producing no power. This makes the car seems like there is a pause or lapse for a second. The car shudders because its trying to accelerate, but cant at the RPM. Than the motor/tranny finally build up some rpms and produces some power to accelerate, and the delay is gone. Hopefully this is you problem and nothing more serious
Now, I'm in a sleepy state, and not really remembering it too well... Wasn't there a thread on this in "S2000 Talk"?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:24 AM

I'm pretty sure this is a common issue on DBW models.
Most seem to resolve it through a hondata or equivalent tune.
Hopefully Billman or Gernby will chime in on this. They surely would have figured this out I would think.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:33 AM

For those who have DBW, you can also try adjusting your throttle cable.

(copy pasting from another thread)
After the cable comes out through the bulkhead it loops so as not to kink the cable. After this it enters a black plastic box. Undo the 2 nuts which secure the cover and the mechanism is easy to see and adjust. It will make a big difference if you have a lot of play in it.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-16-2015, 07:58 PM

^^ very interesting.
Have you tried this personally? did you feel the difference?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM

I really wish people would stop claiming this to be a DBW issue with such certainty. I, and many other AP1 owners, have the same exact issue as described in this thread. So this issue cannot be linked solely to DBW.

I think we can all agree it is not due to the following:
-Heat soak
-Lack of low-end torque
-Poor throttle control

It is very likely engine mapping related, but we need to verify which sensors or controls are contributing to this problem.

Again, I think we can agree the list of possible contributors include:
-O2 sensor
-TPS sensor
-MAP sensor

Lets work together to try and find a solution to this problem.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Just actually experienced this for the first time in my 5 months of owning it. I figured it was due to heat soak from sitting in traffic for too long. I have a 2000 if it matters.

Quick Reply: Slight hesitation at low RPM