S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Slight chattering under low acceleration from rear end

Old 02-29-2016, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight chattering under low acceleration from rear end

Hello,

I just recently purchased an 00' S2000 this weekend. The car currently has 48,000 miles on it. Overall the car is in great shape, and runs awesome! My only "concern" is I can feel a slight chattering from the rear of the car under light throttle. For example, cruising at 55 - 65 and I slowly roll on the throttle, I can feel some type of "jerking" from the rear end. No noises or anything. Now its not that bad, and it doesnt do it at higher rpms. Mainly just in 4th - 6th gear at lower speeds. This may just be me not being totally use to this car yet, or it may be some type of issue. It DOESNT do it at higher rpms or when I get on it. Is it possible maybe I am just to low on rpms for that gear? These cars are so different from the previous evos and subarus ive had. The rev range is larger, so I was thinking maybe its because im overloading the car being in a higher gear, at lower speeds?

Another question, ive done alot of reading but cant find an exact answer. Is it completely normal for these cars to have almost a "flat spot" in the range of maybe 3000 to 4500 rpms? Just like im waiting on it to get going! Again, it very well could be me just not being use to it. A second gear pull, it will feel somewhat flat up until around 5k rpm, and then it comes on. Normal?

Thanks for the info, and again any info is appreciated!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:02 PM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Rear end noise sounds like play in diff, maybe?

Flat spot could be valve adjustment, spark plugs, loose timing chain?

Congrats, on the new car.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:11 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by cstewart109
Hello,

I just recently purchased an 00' S2000 this weekend. The car currently has 48,000 miles on it. Overall the car is in great shape, and runs awesome! My only "concern" is I can feel a slight chattering from the rear of the car under light throttle. For example, cruising at 55 - 65 and I slowly roll on the throttle, I can feel some type of "jerking" from the rear end. No noises or anything. Now its not that bad, and it doesnt do it at higher rpms. Mainly just in 4th - 6th gear at lower speeds. This may just be me not being totally use to this car yet, or it may be some type of issue. It DOESNT do it at higher rpms or when I get on it. Is it possible maybe I am just to low on rpms for that gear? These cars are so different from the previous evos and subarus ive had. The rev range is larger, so I was thinking maybe its because im overloading the car being in a higher gear, at lower speeds?

Another question, ive done alot of reading but cant find an exact answer. Is it completely normal for these cars to have almost a "flat spot" in the range of maybe 3000 to 4500 rpms? Just like im waiting on it to get going! Again, it very well could be me just not being use to it. A second gear pull, it will feel somewhat flat up until around 5k rpm, and then it comes on. Normal?

Thanks for the info, and again any info is appreciated!
Its hard to say, but the usable rpm range is broad because of its high redline, but doesn't really like to be used much under 3k rpms for reference. So as long as your rolling on the gas above 3k on an f20, it should feel smooth and pull. it should feel smooth at 2500rpm, but you wont go anywhere. It is a pretty flat trq curve before vtec though, you get sort of a trq spike at 3500rpm and then it just feels pretty much flat from there especially at 5.5k all the way to 5900rpm at vtec transition there is an actual trq dip. The f22/ap2 has more trq bellow vtec so this isnt as apparent, though its still similar character. These motors take well to lowering vtec substantially, but you need to remove the cat and replace with a strait pipe first or it wont work, then you can lower down to 3600rpms typical and that broadens the usable trq range a good amount as you would expect.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:26 PM

It may be coming from the rear diff. Yes. But I'm not hearing any noise. More so just feeling it a little. But it's not at all times. Just under heavy load. Or slight throttle input when in 4-6 at slower speeds. And as far as the torque goes it's hard to say. It's smooth, it's not cutting out or anything. And It pulls great when it hits v-tec obviously. It may just be me over thinking it also. But it just seems flat until around 5k or so. Then it takes off.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:29 PM

I'd honestly like someone to drive it, who's been around these cars. I'm located north of Chicago also. The car idles awesome, no issues of that sort.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:32 PM

Also the car does have a berk 70mm test pipe as well. So obviously some type of tuning would be needed to lower the vtec transition.