S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Skunk2 Camshafts and valve springs

Old 07-23-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk2 Camshafts and valve springs

Hey guys, i contacted skunk2 about the camshafts they offer for our baby and heres what they said....

Q: Hi, just wondering what the deal is with the camshafts for the S2000. Can you put just those in? Do you need valve springs or anything else with them? Are they streetable? Would you need an aftermarket ecu or anything? Any info would help.

A: Thank you for contacting the Helpdesk at Skunk2 Racing.

The S2000 camshafts make 15-20 HP and 18-22 ft/lbs of torque. They are a precision camshaft that do not require adjustable cam gears. They do require aftermarket valve springs and retainers, and are very streetable once you trim fuel under 1500 rpm.

If you have any more questions regarding Skunk2 products or policy please let us know. Thanks.

Whats this trimming the fuel stuff? Do any of you out there know if these are per say drop in camshafts and you add valve springs and away you go? What kind of tuning is required with camshafts? Are the benefits really worth it? Do bigger injectors come in to play at all? ANy of your guys' input would be awesome. Thanx
Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess they might idle rough due to bigger lobes thats why u would need to tune it with an ems or vafc would even work.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 AM

ill tell yah how it runs this week.. built my hole head with sunk2 ... running a piggy back too so after a break it in and get it tuned ill tell yah how much it puts too tha ground...
Old 07-25-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trimming the fuel means adjusting the AF ratios with some type of aftermarket engine management syste (VAFC, AEM, Emange, etc.)

When Skunk2 cams first came out they made no gains, maybe they updated them but zero chance of 20HP just from streetable cams on an F platform motor.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carrera4,Jul 25 2007, 09:23 AM
Trimming the fuel means adjusting the AF ratios with some type of aftermarket engine management syste (VAFC, AEM, Emange, etc.)

When Skunk2 cams first came out they made no gains, maybe they updated them but zero chance of 20HP just from streetable cams on an F platform motor.
exactly! I especially baulked at the 18-22 ft lbs of torque. I will eat my words if they can show me a dyno sheet on a stock NA 2.0 or 2.2 making that much hp & tq.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by funkiejee,Jul 25 2007, 04:37 AM
ill tell yah how it runs this week.. built my hole head with sunk2 ... running a piggy back too so after a break it in and get it tuned ill tell yah how much it puts too tha ground...
On stand by
Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 PM

I can't imagine why any manufacturer would change the non-VTEC lobes on a camshaft, unless it was designed for a boosted motor or a big change in compression ratio. Ask them for the lift and duration specs and the intended application for this cam.

THis motor has 6 cam lobes per cylinder:
Intake - 2 normal (may be same profile for both intake valves) and 1 VTEC
Exhaust - 2 normal (may be same profile for both exhaust valves) and 1 VTEC

If the non-VTEC lobes are the same as stock, the idle should not need any fuel trimming.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:08 PM

ok got tha ride out of the shop... having a lot of valve lash at 4000rpm ... called skunk and they say peps with f20c are having tha same problem... anyone know about this problem also???
Old 07-29-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated above there should be no need to change the low end cam lobes unless this cam deletes the Vtec which would be lame too. doesnt sound like a well thought out product IMHO
Old 07-29-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeeater,Jul 25 2007, 10:46 PM
I can't imagine why any manufacturer would change the non-VTEC lobes on a camshaft, unless it was designed for a boosted motor or a big change in compression ratio. Ask them for the lift and duration specs and the intended application for this cam.

THis motor has 6 cam lobes per cylinder:
Intake - 2 normal (may be same profile for both intake valves) and 1 VTEC
Exhaust - 2 normal (may be same profile for both exhaust valves) and 1 VTEC
The Toda cams (Spec Av2) had different primary & secondary lobes (non-VTEC) than stock. It didn't do much on a stock engine below 4000RPM, but they did show gains from 4-6K. If you're going to spend that much money on cams, then you would expect that they improved both mid-range and high-end power. I don't understand why you say that there is no need to change the low cams lobes. If there is power to be made, then they should try to make it (unless it's a full-race cam, where you'd never be using the low RPM lobes... like the "VTEC killer" cams).

Also, the primary & secondary lobes (at least on the intake) are, in fact, different profiles. This is to induce swirl in the chamber to aid in fuel mixture.

Quick Reply: Skunk2 Camshafts and valve springs