S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Single 'knock' from rear suspension when pulling off or breaking.

Old 11-14-2002, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rlloyd
[B]I have just replaced the original tires, and now hear a distinct 'klunk' when pulling off from standstill
Old 11-14-2002, 02:17 AM

I'm afraid that I've found no solution... Turning the radio up a bit louder seems to quieten it down a bit.

I have found that the sound is slowly getting quieter (better than getting louder) and it does not seem to have any adverse affects on the handling (2 track days have convinced me of this)

Honda had no idea as to what the problem was and even a day in the workshop, with them tightening everything up, made no difference.

I am hoping that it is nothing to do with wheel alignment, but I'll have to see in the long run with tyre wear.

Good luck to solving yours... I've pretty much given up.

Let me know of any solution.

thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 02:33 AM

Will do.

Its going in next week for a problem with the drivers door lock where I'm having a new solenoid or something fitted. Just had the recalls done last week for Spark plugs and banjo bolts in the engine. When I spoke to the technician he said he would try and find out what the clunk might be and have a look when it goes back in a couple of days or so.

Having looked around a lot, I think its to do with either the drive shaft nuts requiring tightening or the CV joint wearing.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing here, this is how mine went- drive the car home, stop going forward, no noise. Back up into the driveway and get one clunk as I apply the brakes. Get in the car to go out the driveway and one clunk as I apply the brakes goig forward, then no more until backing up again.

I took the rear wheels off, removed the calipers, bent out the little spring clips that are supposed to hold the rear pads in tension so the pads were under MORE tension, put everything back together, no more noise.

What is happening is each time the rotor goes in the opposite direction you get one clunk as the pad moves off one stop and hits the other. The challenge is you do not want a pad to fit tight in the caliper because it will not move freely in and out against the rotor. On the other hand if they are too loose they will rotate slightly with the direction of the rotor and create the clunk.

With luck I have explained this so it is clear, if you have taken the back brakes apart and have seen how the pads slide into the caliper holding bracket you will recall each pad has essentially two contact points, one at the top and one at the bottom. The back up clunk is the pad moving away from the top contact and bumping into the lower. Then the first break forward the pad moves off the lower contact point and hits the top one. Although the noise is annoying - if this IS what is causing you noise it is NO BIG DEAL, just a nuisance. Again, putting the spring clips under more tension will reduce or eliminate this characteristic.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:25 AM

Thats the brakes though.
rlloyd's problem is related to the drivechain.

I have exactly the same problem (i think). When you've engaged 1st or reverse gear - let off the clutch, as the drive is taken up and the car starts moving there is a clunk from the rear of the car.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by cerberus264
Thats the brakes though.
rlloyd's problem is related to the drivechain.
Yup, that is the way I read the thread also, but others in this thread may have the noise as it relates to the brakes.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew Doherty
[B]
Old 11-14-2002, 11:33 PM

I have traced two different clunks on my car:

- Changing directions from forward to reverse or vice versa, with a stop in between, i get a clunk. This I determined is either the rear brake pad popping one way or another because of the rotor direction change, OR its the diff taking up some slack. Either case, no biggie

- Clunk which seemed to come from the front. It turns out it was a slightly loosened nut on the swaybar link (to the swaybar itself). You need to hold the threaded body fixed with a allen wrench and tighten the nut with a wrench. This one was only heard when the car rocked side to side or ran over rought road sections. Tightening it up eliminated the noise.

Bassem
Old 12-05-2002, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by cerberus264

Did you ever find out what it was? I have the same problem but the Honda dealer knows nothing about it. I told them I'd do some research and get back to them. Single knock when pulling away in 1st or reverse.
Same here. Just had the ring & pinion replaced (warranty, thank God) and now I sometimes hear a single noise. It does not seem to happen all of the time, but I'm not sure about that either.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:39 PM

you might also want to check this out?
TSB 02-046

Quick Reply: Single 'knock' from rear suspension when pulling off or breaking.