S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Single 'knock' from rear suspension when pulling off or breaking.

Old 09-24-2002, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single 'knock' from rear suspension when pulling off or breaking.

I have just replaced the original tires, and now hear a distinct 'klunk' when pulling off from standstill . It is not linked to a brake issue as I can pull off slowly and hear nothing. As soon as I apply some power, I get the sound again.

It only happens again if I brake hard to a stop (another 'klunk') and then pull off.

I have read a number of threads mentioning an axle bolt that needs tightening, but this seems to be linked to other vibrational issues that others are having.

I also don't think that the tires have anything to do with things, as all that was done was to have them replaced. I have checked the wheel bolts and all is secure.

The car is just 3 weeks out of waranty, so I am hoping that it is not a major issue. Does anyone have an idea as to what it could be and maybe a solution?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

Could be the wheel bearing tightening/lubrication issue, but it's more likely the brake pads shifting in their seats. Very common, nothing to worry about.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:44 AM

I had a similar problem with an old Audi 4000... Turned out that it was a loose strut mount and worn strut bearing. I know the S doesn't have struts, but it could be a shock mount. You might want to check they're all secure.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:48 PM

We had a similar problem with our daughter's Toyota. Immediately after having new tires/rims installed there was a very noticeable click while braking going forward and again in reverse. The techs at the tire shop couldn't figure it out so we took it in to our mechanic. It was the front brake pads that were shifting. He installed some retaining clips and the problem went away. Why having the new wheels installed caused this I don't know.
Good luck!
Old 09-24-2002, 03:16 PM
pfb

Check the rear brake caliper mounting bolts...
Old 09-24-2002, 09:37 PM

It is most likely a loose bolt. I would recommend that you get someone to jack the car up somehow so you can re-tighten all your bolts just to be safe. Yes, I had a clicking noise before and this advice did solve my problem. Hope it helps you.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:43 PM

clunk may be related to CV deterioration as well
Old 09-24-2002, 10:43 PM

The noise is definitely not the brakes as I can roll forward without any noise. It is only under load that the sound is made.

I have a dip in my driveway where I can rock the car backwards and forwards without the use of brakes... alas, the sound is stil there. I guess this at least rules out the brakes.

I have jacked up the car (a mate of mine is a mechanic) and made sure that all the bolts are secure. Still it makes the sound.

I was concerned that it may be a CV joint, but I would have expected that to have arrived gradually. Also, there seems to be a threshold power below which it makes no sound at all. If it were the CV joint, surely the sound would be there under any load, increasing in level with the increase in torque?

The only other thing I can think of is the suspension somewhere.

Does anyone else suffer from a similar problem?
Old 09-25-2002, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone else suffer from a similar problem?
Yeah the same thing is happening to me and its not the brakes as i've had all mine replaced with AP's and i've also got coilover suspension so i'm all out of ideas, so it would be good to hopefully find some answers?!?!?!?!?! (if i let my car free wheel back or forward slowly i get a clunk,clunk - clunk,clunk sound with every revolution of the wheels)
Andy
Old 09-25-2002, 04:26 AM

Andy

I'm just getting a single clunk, and it does not continue with every revolution. Just the one.

Yours sounds more like the CV joint. If that is worn, you will get a sound like that.

It would be great to get some answers though... It is driving me nuts! Mostly because I'm not sure whether it is dangerous, dammaging the car, or nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Single 'knock' from rear suspension when pulling off or breaking.