S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Single exhaust rattles. Any cures?

Old 11-15-2003, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOUD!

Well, here goes. I pulled the car out of the garage, and let it run while I placed the ramps. I noticed that as the engine cycled while at idle, the rpm's cycled slightly up and down. During one of the cycling phases, I barely heard a bit of the buzz/rattle I hear at 4500 rpms as I walked around the back of the car.

I peaked under the car and watched as the exhaust, specifically the big bend portion, was shaking quite dramatically - about 1/2" up and down. It did not contact anything while shaking, but there was a hint of the sound. Interesting - I filed that bit of info in the back of my mind - more on that later. BTW, the exhaust does not sway, and is otherwise very secure.

I turned off the engine and began my inspection of the exhaust and heat shields. Hot! Doesn't take long - 5 minutes at idle and the cat is hot! Nothing loose, nothing in contact with anything it shouldn't be, all hangars secure. There goes my wishful thinking for an easy and obvious fix.

I slowly moved the exhaust over it's range of motion, which was not much - no contact, no noise. I gave the exahust a firm and solid hit with the bottom of my fist - paydirt! There was a disctinct metallic sound. Over and over I hit the exhaust, producing a tick each time I hit it, but I could not localize the source of the sound.

I gave a repeated quick series of hits, about 5+ hits per second, trying to imitate the frequency of the vibration I noticed while the car was idling. The sound I was able to reproduce was similar to the sound I was trying to eliminate, but I again couldn't localize the sound. It seemed as if the whole pipe was the source of the sound.

I immediately suspected that something was loose in my exhaust, so I decided to remove it. Flipping it on end and shaking it, I expected some foreign object to come rattling out, but nothing. The exhaust's integrity was intact. Aargh!

I put the stock exhaust back on - no sound. Not only is there no buzz/rattle, there is no single wail. For the first time, I heard my Comptech CAI.

I don't know what to do, especially considering that the buzz/rattle only started occuring some weeks or months after the Veilside was installed.

The only thing I can now say for sure is that the Veilside is LOUD and LIGHT! I may keep the OEM on for a while...
Old 09-18-2004, 02:45 PM

Did this ever get resolved? I have a buzz at ~4000RPMs after installing my Amuse R1000.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys who have checked the heatshield under the car and found no contact at idle or at revs should think about getting hard exhaust hanging bushes.

I got some from in the box from Apexi when I bought my N1 and had them installed together, no rattles/buzzing or contact for over 3 years now. Those exhaust bushes are about twice as rigid in strength.

Most exhaust shops should sell them, if you want JDM specific types for N1 exhausts, try J's Racing.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:32 PM

mxt, my resolution was to sell the Veilside and get the Mugen. SSS's suggestion would be worth a try.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the Spoon exhaust and have had it on for around 1,000 miles and now I have this annoying rattle at around 4000 rpms. All bolts are tight and there's no contact with anything as far as I can tell. Has anyone cured this rattle problem? If so, what did you do?
Old 10-15-2004, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by terd ferguson,Oct 15 2004, 03:11 PM
I've got the Spoon exhaust and have had it on for around 1,000 miles and now I have this annoying rattle at around 4000 rpms. All bolts are tight and there's no contact with anything as far as I can tell. Has anyone cured this rattle problem? If so, what did you do?
Do you have any other mods? (e.g., Header)?
Old 10-15-2004, 12:40 PM

I've got an AEM V2 intake.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:55 PM

When i had my JIC titanium single on my car, i had a rattle at exactly 4000 rpm as well. It didn't come from the exhaust, but it came from the interior. When inside the car, the rattle sounded like it was coming from behind the driver. I looked under the exhaust and tried to replicate the sound by moving it in any direction i could, but i still couldn't find out the sound.

I took out my trunk interior pieces and found out that the rattling/buzzing sound was coming from the shield that goes on top of the fuel pump. It was rattling or buzzing because of the resonance from the exhaust at the frequency that occurs only at 4000rpm. I happened to have a beach towel in my trunk from earlier that day and just stuffed the heck out of it in between the space of the shield and the frame of the car. Solved the problem for me and i hope maybe its the same rattling you guys are describing.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:41 PM

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:32 PM

Hey Guys,

I have a 02 S2k and i had a Veilside exhaust installed also and i also had the same rattle at about 4k rpm's. I removed my exhaust and found a rather large crack in the exhaust which was making the sound for a while. At first when the rattle was very low, i didn't think much of it but then it got to the point where it was a constant annoying rattle. The crack occurred around the last hanger where the exhaust connects to the cat. I think the titanium exhaust is not strong enough to last very long on this car since other exhaust that are titanium built (other than Veilside) have the same rattling sound.

Don't know if this crack is just a special case for me, but for others who have the same problem, inspect your exhaust carefully and see if you also have a crack somewhere. Let me know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Single exhaust rattles. Any cures?