S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Single exhaust rattles. Any cures?

Old 11-13-2003, 10:05 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Single exhaust rattles. Any cures?

Ok, here is my latest issue. My Spugen Single seems to rattle a little. I went under it and have determined that the use of the stock hanger system with a Single exhaust results in an exhaust that can swing quite a bit from side to side. With the duals, the two sides hold the system in tension and it doesn't swing very much side to side.

Anyway, the single system ends up flexing at the front of the cat. converter that is held on to the header by the stock spring loaded bolt sysem, designed to allow some flex, but probably not this much. I'm thinking it can be fixed by use of an additional muffler hanger, positioned to stop side to side movement, located at the rear resonator. I'm just not sure what to use or where to attach it.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this and how they fixed it. I like to find out if there is a solution to my problem before I try to invent one myself.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm...

I have had a loud buzzy rattle "somewhere" under the car, precisely at 4500 rpms , that was not there before I installed the veilside ti single. I had a sneaking suspicion that it had to do with the lightness of the exhaust (about 6 lbs) causing some upstream part of the exhaust to flex more due to less attached mass.

There is a spring loaded bolt system between the cat and the header? I will have to crawl under the car this weekend and check it out. I'll let you know what I find.

btw - the single I have has 3 hangers, 2 for the can itself and one after the mounting flange - all utilise stock mounting points. The system does not sway side to side.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chiung
hmmm...

I have had a loud buzzy rattle "somewhere" under the car, precisely at 4500 rpms , that was not there before I installed the veilside ti single.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:35 AM

I'll try to see how much it sways, but IIRC, it does not move. I used the 3 stock donuts - fit was excellent.

My to-do list for tomorrow includes crawling under the car - I'll post updates.

How many hangers does your system come with? Here's a pic of the Veilside for reference, maybe you need a third hanger as you seem to propose.

Old 11-14-2003, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my exhaust does the same. i have a slight rattle when idling, REALLY annoying. Not sure if its rubbing against something or somethings loose or what.

btw-my exhaust is an rs*r single. and im surprised to find its happenin to other cars too!
Old 11-14-2003, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably not the same issue, but when I first installed my Spugen dual it had a rattle at idle. The resonator was just touching the heat shield above and in front of it. Bending the shield slightly fixed the problem. See red arrow in photo
-Glen
Old 11-14-2003, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the tip and mug shot of the culprit - now I know what to look for!
Old 11-14-2003, 04:23 PM

That isn't it on mine. I have the Spugen single and it uses the three stock hangers just as the system picured above. The system clears everything. By shaking the system side to side I can hear the same sound I hear from under the car when I go over certain irregularities. I tried tying the system over with a piece of wire and it reduced most of the rattle, so I think that is the problem. I just need something that will hold the system a little tighter in both directions.
Old 11-14-2003, 05:29 PM

I'm pretty sure mine is caused by a heat shield rattling/buzzing. From the looks of Dr. T's photo, it could be the one he indicates, or it could be the one(s) on the cat. conv., or even the header?

Any other heat shields I should check?

Legal - so your sound occurs when you go over certain road surfaces rather than rpm/engine related? It sounds like you have a handle on a diagnosis and possible fix. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2003, 11:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chiung
I'm pretty sure mine is caused by a heat shield rattling/buzzing.

Quick Reply: Single exhaust rattles. Any cures?