S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

silly SC question

Old 04-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts
Default silly SC question

My familiarity is more with turbo cars so pardon my ignorance........

I have read a many threads and articles about SC'ed S2000 and find that much like the NA cars, they tend to give more power up high in the RPM range but not a whole lot extra in the lower range for typical street driving. It seems that when a higher boost compressor pulley is added, it adds a little more power down low, but also adds extra complications with fuel management and knock when at full boost in higher rpm. That raises this question...

Is is possible to run a Comptech or Vortech with an upgraded higher boost pulley but bleed off the extra boost at high rpm the way a turbo wastegate would? I know that you would be wasting boost and overturning the compressor for the boost you are actually using at high rpm, but it seems that you could get more boost and power in the low rpm range, but have fewer problems that the higher boost level would produce at the top of the range, less octane requirement/less knock, and less stress on much of the car.

Possible or just too totally insane to even try?

Thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i mentioned this in another thread, but IMO the safest way to do what you're talking about (and maybe cheapest too) is to run some higher gears and a stock sc setup. the gears give some serious kick down low and the sc gives it up top. i love my 4.77/comptech set up, and the power is addicting all the way through the spectrum.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I have considered going with that option, but for my taste, the engine is making too much racket cruising at 70-75 already. If I went with the gears I don't think I would be able to put up with the noise for a long trip and only use the car for commuting. I like the sounds with the top down, but if you have to drive a long distance with the top up it seems to hold in the noise and gets to be a little much.

The gears seem like a nice option especially since you can take care of some differential upgrades at the same time, but I am just researching all options first and it seems like turbo's are tough on this car. I will propbaly look around in town and see if someone with just an SC or just gears can take me for a spin.

I am still wondering if there would be a good way to bleed SC boost though. Although now that I think of it, if the bleed mechanism were to fail, you could overboost the engine for the given fuel you are running and boom, clank clank clank.

I thought I remember reading a thread were SC owners were not noticing much extra until 5000 rpm. But right now, my plans are much bigger than my cash flow until the basement is finished.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

You can go to an AEM EMS system and pick up some pretty good midrange hp increases with larger injectors and and a lowered vtec engagement. I read a thread on the builder that did big purps car regarding how SC's like the lower vtec while turbo's do not.

The 444 gears help out a lot down low, I'm running my vtec engagement at 4400, I think purp has his down around 3600 or something. He's posted his dynos.

fltsfshr