S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Silicone hose kits

Old 11-01-2015, 07:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Silicone hose kits

Hey,

I put a koyo radiator with a koyo cap (higher pressure than stock) in my car about a year ago after my original radiator started leaking. Last thursday, one of my hoses finally burst.

I took out the two hoses just under the oil filter because one had burst and the other looked worn out. I think it would be wisest to get silicone hoses, but the only kits I've seen are for the larger hoses coming out of the radiator itself. This seems kind of dumb to me seeing as the tiny hoses might have the toughest time, and were the ones that actually went bad for me.

Is anyone aware of a silicone hose kit that replaces all the heater hoses on the car? Thanks
Old 11-01-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get them on Aliexpress. I have used these silicon hoses on another car (not and S2k) and they seamed to be good quality.
Cheers
Paddy
Old 11-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Why do you think a higher pressure radiator cap is a good idea?

Higher pressure raises coolant boiling point. Unless you are having overheating issues due to excessive thrashing at the track, all your high pressure cap is doing is putting more stress on things (as you already found out with burst hoses).

Not all racing parts are 'better', or more heavy duty, for use on the street. Often with a car as well engineered as the S, they take something away.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 11-02-2015, 12:41 PM

The stock cap wouldn't fit the koyo radiator, so I bought the koyo cap.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Why do you think a higher pressure radiator cap is a good idea?

Higher pressure raises coolant boiling point. Unless you are having overheating issues due to excessive thrashing at the track, all your high pressure cap is doing is putting more stress on things (as you already found out with burst hoses).

Not all racing parts are 'better', or more heavy duty, for use on the street. Often with a car as well engineered as the S, they take something away.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 11-02-2015, 12:43 PM

But yea, I bought the oem parts. The water hoses I'm talking about go to the oil cooler which is right next to the oil filter.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racecar100
You can get them on Aliexpress. I have used these silicon hoses on another car (not and S2k) and they seamed to be good quality.
Cheers
Paddy
I like Aliexpress, but not sure if I'd trust them for car parts (especially something as critical as cooling).
Old 11-03-2015, 03:27 AM

interested in this aswell. would like to replace all the coolant hoses for silicone. (must be black, as most are blue ) had a look too and cant find anything in the UK (only 2 hose kits) ;/
Old 09-30-2018, 11:09 AM

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but the same thing just happened to me last night.
I replaced my leaking radiator with a Koyo one two weeks ago, all was fine till I did some moderate freeway driving last night, and pulled into the driveway as temps started climbing/coolant spraying out.

Looks like the return line of the Oil Coolant Bypass (hose above oil filter, bottom one) has frayed, likely from the same issue of using the Koyo cap on the rad which unfortunately increases the pressure.

912crxSI - did you ever find a solution? Either a different cap that fits and is the stock pressure, or silicone hoses that will work? I can't find any for those 2 specific hoses. Ideally I think a stock pressure rad cap that fits the Koyo rad would be best...

Thanks - Dox
Old 09-30-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

I'm using a HKS coolant cap which got same pressure rating as the stock one https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/produ...cap/index.html
Another cheap option would be a Mazda Miata cap.
If your hoses are bad just get new OEM ones, most generic silicone hoses are not suited for coolant.