S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is this a sign my Master Cylinder is dead?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great video. Although our slave cylinder woukd be on the outside of the gearbox, so cant see how it coukd get contaminated with dust.

Although it does make me think if the release bearing isnt sliding so smooth when I disengage my clutch, that its sticking on the transmission input shaft ever so slightly maybe?

Ive done the shifter regrease job a few months ago aswell.
Its exactly how you describe, but for me it can happen in any gear. If I have car in neutral , clutch hit third then theree is a clunk in the drive train, if I keep.clutch engaged I can slide out an in to any gear with out issue.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:40 AM

so an update on this:

I made the gear change better, and this is how i done it, I removed my slave cylinder from the gear box, and with the bleed nipple pointing up i got a friend to open the nipple as I pushed the piston all the way in with my hand. There was a burst of air out of the nipple into the hose while i was near the end of the piston stroke. While the piston was held in, the nipple was closed, and then i let the piston slowly return to the extended position, sucking new fluid down from the reservoir. I repeated this, for the amount of times it took to empty the reservoir from full, to just below the low mark four times. So conclusion was that I did have some air in the slave cylinder.

While I was at it, I used the same principle for bleeding the brakes with Racing DOT 4. I used a caliper wind back tool to push the piston back while the nipple was open. I then bled the brakes while the piston was held back with the tool so that I wasn’t mixing the Racing DOT4 with a caliper full of old DOT 4. Result here is now a super hard brake pedal. Well impressed.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent job stezie. I will repeat your process on my car and hope for similar results.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
Excellent job stezie. I will repeat your process on my car and hope for similar results.
sure, keep an eye on the resevoir, as the slave cylinder can take a good gulp of fluid when you let it expand, you dont want air sucked into the line again