S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is this a sign of a bad throwout bearing?

Old 10-25-2019, 07:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this a sign of a bad throwout bearing?

Here's a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wEwGRTGHjd8nryzHA

It seems to happen with or without the clutch being pressed. I had it in first gear at the time of the video.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-25-2019, 07:56 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Kram in a Cab
Here's a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wEwGRTGHjd8nryzHA

It seems to happen with or without the clutch being pressed. I had it in first gear at the time of the video.

What do you guys think?
More detail please. Does it ALWAYS happen? Or just when you have it in gear?
Old 10-25-2019, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
More detail please. Does it ALWAYS happen? Or just when you have it in gear?
I just started noticing it last night. I had the car in neutral and was about to turn off the car when I started hearing it. When I took out my phone to try to record the sound, I tried pressing clutch in/out, and it seems to act the same. It's not a constant noise - it seems to go away and start again every few seconds. The video was taken after a 30 min drive home.

I didn't notice it until I was parked and stationary.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:27 AM

I just started noticing it last night. I had the car in neutral and was about to turn off the car when I started hearing it. When I took out my phone to try to record the sound, I tried pressing clutch in/out, and it seems to act the same. It's not a constant noise - it seems to go away and start again every few seconds. The video was taken after a 30 min drive home.

I didn't notice it until I was parked and stationary.
A throwout bearing noise will be constant and present only when when the clutch pedal is at it's out position aka not touching the pressure plate fingers. It sounds kind of like a throwout bearing noise in the video with a combination of something else.

A trans rollover noise should be constant there just sitting at idle in neutral and should go away pressing the clutch in for a few seconds.

Honestly it sounds like something grounding something out and rattling (did you drop something behind the engine? An oil cap is common to get stuck between the bellehousing and firewall.....can you feel any vibration through the firewall/pedals?) combined with throwout bearing noise.

How many miles are on this vehicle? And is this a stock clutch?

One of the noises I feel is completely normal, my vehicle makes the same sound when releasing the clutch at idle. The other I'm not completely sure about.

Last edited by HawkeyeGeoff; 10-25-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the explanations. Currently at 67k miles, its an 06. As far as I can tell, this is the stock clutch - I don't believe it was ever replaced before.

I haven't worked on the engine recently, so pretty sure nothing fell through. I'll take a glance under the hood for any caps missing later today. Nothing feels obviously weird in terms of clutch pedal feel.

I have had it slip a little bit on full throttle shifts at the track, so I was already planning on replacing the clutch when it showed signs of slipping during street driving. Perhaps the other components wore out first. I'm just hoping its replaceable clutch components rather than the transmission itself, hah.

Last edited by Kram in a Cab; 10-25-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the explanations. Currently at 67k miles, its an 06. As far as I can tell, this is the stock clutch - I don't believe it was ever replaced before.

I haven't worked on the engine recently, so pretty sure nothing fell through. I'll take a glance under the hood for any caps missing later today. Nothing feels obviously weird in terms of clutch pedal feel.

I have had it slip a little bit on full throttle shifts at the track, so I was already planning on replacing the clutch when it showed signs of slipping during street driving. Perhaps the other components wore out first. I'm just hoping its replaceable clutch components rather than the transmission itself, hah.
Yeh I'd go ahead and just replace the clutch if it's slipping. It can do weird things when you start getting a ton of clutch dust all over the place in the bellehousing.

The previous owner might have dropped something too. But regardless when you drop the trans you'll know if there was something up there!

I'd go ahead and replace the trans fluid while you're at it. Just rule it all out.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 377 Likes on 349 Posts

Oil cap as above was a headache for me..
<Lost oil cap>

Last edited by noodels; 10-25-2019 at 10:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your clutch slip you feel at a track would be normal for a 06 driven hard and shifting fast due to clutch delay valve, it was put in by Honda to save on differential warranty claims, many remove them. It would be unusual to need a clutch at your mileage, but you don’t know how the last owners drove.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
A throwout bearing noise will be constant and present only when when the clutch pedal is at it's out position aka not touching the pressure plate fingers. It sounds kind of like a throwout bearing noise in the video with a combination of something else.

A trans rollover noise should be constant there just sitting at idle in neutral and should go away pressing the clutch in for a few seconds.

Honestly it sounds like something grounding something out and rattling (did you drop something behind the engine? An oil cap is common to get stuck between the bellehousing and firewall.....can you feel any vibration through the firewall/pedals?) combined with throwout bearing noise.

How many miles are on this vehicle? And is this a stock clutch?

One of the noises I feel is completely normal, my vehicle makes the same sound when releasing the clutch at idle. The other I'm not completely sure about.
I'm pretty sure that failing clutch throwout bearing would only make noise when clutch is engaged. When clutch is disengaged there is nothing moving on throwout bearing.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by _valtsu_
I'm pretty sure that failing clutch throwout bearing would only make noise when clutch is engaged. When clutch is disengaged there is nothing moving on throwout bearing.
The throw out bearing usually is in constant contact with the PP and therefore spinning. I've seen it both ways but it seems to be more common to have an always contacting one. This is why they can make noise.

Quick Reply: Is this a sign of a bad throwout bearing?