S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sigh, CEL and another issue

Old 10-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sigh, CEL and another issue

ive had my exhaust on my car for almost 4 months now and its always been fine, now im getting a "P1456 manufacture control auxiliary emission controls" i assume thats an o2 sensor? if so, why fail now?

also, i have a clicking, and its not the TCT, as i already got a new tensioner etc, and its still there. my mechanic said its most likely the valve lifters being noisy? that sound plausible, i really think its the valves or something to do with it... he recommended me run sea foam on my next fillup of gas in the gas tank, and then something called cam doctor or something like that in with my next oil change and it should lube it better and will most likely fix it. anyone thing that sounds ok? just lookin for ideas.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:26 AM

found a post on the gas cap causing the p1456, so ill do that this morning, and i dont see how it just came loose... but any ideas on the valve lifters/valves themselves, how to quiet em down?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM

It sounds like your mechanic thinks your car has hydraulic valve lifters... If thats the case, find a new mechanic.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

This car does not have lifters.

Do not use seafoam.

Dont use any crap called cam doctor.

It is VERY rare for s2k valves to make noise if they have never been adjusted before.

Find someone to diagnose the car properly, or you will make it worse and waste money.

as for the P1456, it is 90% chance a NON-SEALING gas cap. not loose per say. It didnt come loose. Either it was not tightened (not likely) or the threads are binding on the cap. This will make the cap click before it seals. Squeeze the cap on the outside, to further tighten it so the rubber cap seal seals against the filler neck.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 AM

i tightened the gas cap and pulled ecu fuse, the light is gone. as for mechanic he knows nothing about these cars, i wasnt letting him work on it, just asked if he thought it sounded weird and he said kinda sounds like a valve lifter or that valves may need adjust, but said it wasnt bad. unfortunately there is nowhere around here, or hell, within 150 miles that knows anything about s2ks
Old 10-20-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Valve adjustments do fix alot of things. just make sure you have a valve cover replacement rubber seal or some hondabond. Currently having mines serviced from a friend.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 AM

i have a complete metric tool set... i just dont have that valve height measurement tool... and i think something else i need... my luck some douche bent a valve or something before i got it... its always ticked a little...
Old 10-20-2010, 04:52 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

You will not need a new gasket. you will definitely NOT use or need hondabond.

Seems this thread is more about correcting rediculous posts than fixing the car.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:36 PM

shrug^ looks like it, i pulled my cover and all on my gsr several times and ive never needed a new gasket, i was going to ignore that. but back on topic... shudder/bog and the ticking! its NOT the timing chain... and it seems to run too good for a f'd valve... but i could be wrong lol
Old 10-20-2010, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you think its a bent valve, I believe it'll show up on a compression test. Testers are roughly 30-40 at any autozone, it'll give you good information to start with. Just be sure to follow the directions (fully warmed, all plugs out, FP disconnected).

For the valve adjustment, you can buy a "honda valve adjustment tool" which is basically a screwdriver inside of a nut driver. You could do it without it, but it'll make life a LOT easier. Get the right sized feeler gauges and if you have a socket that can turn the crank bolt, you're good to go on valve adjusting.

Quick Reply: Sigh, CEL and another issue