S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Side Branch Resonator

Old 07-05-2011, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Branch Resonator

Has anyone added a Side Branch Resonator to their aftermarket exhaust to reduce drone?

The OEM exhaust has this, just wondering if I can get the same length of dead end pipe to takeout the drone during 3~4k RPM on my aftermarket exhaust

Here is a good read on this topic...
http://www.enoisecon...arrier_wall.pdf
Old 07-05-2011, 03:16 AM

I think there were quite a few threads about this... I believe its called the Helmholtz resonator.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I thought it was called the flux capacitor.

Sorry, I have no value added input on the actual topic.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 AM

ok i will look into this Helmholtz resonator
Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by robrob
I thought it was called the flux capacitor.

Sorry, I have no value added input on the actual topic.
it was to aid in searching which the op apparently will do.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

In a former life, I used to work with an exhaust manufacurer in the design of exhaust systems, and it was interesting to learn why exhaust systmes had certain characteristics, which explains the OEM design.

An exhaust system is "tuned" to the engine and vehicle. The length of the sections of the exhaust tube as well as the total volume of the exhaust system determines the frequencies at which resonation (harmonic frequency) occurs. The trick is to design an exhaust system with harmonic frequencies outside the operating range of the vehicle. For a car with an engine designed to redline at 9,000 RPM, that's no easy task.

To break up the large section between the cat and the split to the mufflers, Honda put a standard resonator right in the middle. Not only does that break up the length of the tube, but it adds significant volume to the exhaust system which changes the harmonic pitch. Honda could have tuned the exhaust system by tweaking the standard resonator but that takes countless tweaks and test cycles, resulting in excessive development cost. To get around this, they add the Helmholtz resonator. Then by simply making this pipe shorter or longer, they can get the precise volume in the exhaust system by just changing the length of this appendage. Once they figure out how long to make it, they make all of them the same length.

Therefore if you want to add a Helmholz resonator to your aftermarket exhaust system, you would just be guessing how long to make the appengage. You could concoct a cup-over-a-tube setup and play around with the length until the resonant frequency goes away - kind of like a trombone - then weld it in place when you get the right length. But if you think you're just going to weld a tube on the side of an aftermarket exhaust system and hit the optimum size, you're kidding yourself.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44
In a former life, I used to work with an exhaust manufacurer in the design of exhaust systems, and it was interesting to learn why exhaust systmes had certain characteristics, which explains the OEM design.

An exhaust system is "tuned" to the engine and vehicle. The length of the sections of the exhaust tube as well as the total volume of the exhaust system determines the frequencies at which resonation (harmonic frequency) occurs. The trick is to design an exhaust system with harmonic frequencies outside the operating range of the vehicle. For a car with an engine designed to redline at 9,000 RPM, that's no easy task.

To break up the large section between the cat and the split to the mufflers, Honda put a standard resonator right in the middle. Not only does that break up the length of the tube, but it adds significant volume to the exhaust system which changes the harmonic pitch. Honda could have tuned the exhaust system by tweaking the standard resonator but that takes countless tweaks and test cycles, resulting in excessive development cost. To get around this, they add the Helmholtz resonator. Then by simply making this pipe shorter or longer, they can get the precise volume in the exhaust system by just changing the length of this appendage. Once they figure out how long to make it, they make all of them the same length.

Therefore if you want to add a Helmholz resonator to your aftermarket exhaust system, you would just be guessing how long to make the appengage. You could concoct a cup-over-a-tube setup and play around with the length until the resonant frequency goes away - kind of like a trombone - then weld it in place when you get the right length. But if you think you're just going to weld a tube on the side of an aftermarket exhaust system and hit the optimum size, you're kidding yourself.
Originally Posted by Ike 2.2
Posted too early. Found the info. after an extensive search:

Distance from cat to centre of pipe: Stock 240mm, Amuse 220mm

Length: Both 150mm

Diameter: Stock 45mm, Amuse 55mm.

Location: Is similar both on the Amuse and on stock pipe. Guess that is the best place to put it.
I was thinking to copy Amuse size to try out first.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/510...or-dimensions/