S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Shutting off engine when cold, short commute question

Old 10-12-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

I wouldn't mind walking it in the summer, but its just far enough to be a pain in the cold winter.

I can't let it sit and warm up either, way too loud and I'd be banished from the neighborhood within a week.

I do like the oil idea, would it be okay to run all winter long, even on long drives once the engine is warm?
Old 10-12-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
The car actually warms up faster if you get in a drive it,....you are not warming up the tranny fluid or diff fluid by letting it sit while the engine gets warm. If your engine is warm and you get in a step on it(you shouldnt in the winter or with cold tires obviously) but your diff fluid is gonna be like pudding. Think about it.
Slow going and low revs till normal operating temp then drive how you want.

Here is some discussion along with an excerpt from the manual

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/914...-your-car-for/
Huh thanks! I did a quick search myself and found the same thread lol. The only real reason I let her warm up is because it's usually anywhere from -25 to -40 here in Alaska. Since she sits outside unfortunately all year, letting her warm up helps defrost the front window. I suppose I am being lazy about it and could just scrape off the ice lol. But I don't step on it anyway, there's too much snow usually and wouldn't have the traction.
But thanks again for the insight
Old 10-12-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Yes, 0-30W should be fine for long trips, etc. The weight of the oil, at engine normal operating temp, is 30W. Just like 5W-30 or 10W-30. It's just that the 0W oil flows better at cold ambient temps. And warms up faster to operating temp. Or, I should as, flows sooner under heated conditions.

Check out link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-...p=23366849&st=
Old 10-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

0W30 would be fine for long drives, especially Amsoil

Redline racing (member on here) has been running it in his S for a long time.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Ive been in temps that cold,...I am actually surprised you can even get the cars started. I know I had a 50/50 chance when temps dipped below -20. Id get up in the middle of the night to start it just to make sure I could get to work in the morning.

My avatar....I have no idea whats shes saying,...but do we really care
Old 10-12-2014, 04:20 PM

Received 479 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
The car actually warms up faster if you get in a drive it,....you are not warming up the tranny fluid or diff fluid by letting it sit while the engine gets warm. If your engine is warm and you get in a step on it(you shouldnt in the winter or with cold tires obviously) but your diff fluid is gonna be like pudding. Think about it.
Slow going and low revs till normal operating temp then drive how you want.

Here is some discussion along with an excerpt from the manual

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/914...-your-car-for/
The transmission gears are in constant mesh, as long as the clutch disk is spinning all the gears are spinning, but you still need to engage the synchros. The diff needs a gear engaged however. That said, drive the car for a good 5 miles, the temp gauge is for the coolant, engine oil takes a little longer to get up to temperature. It takes me about 6 miles of driving for the oil to reach the right temperature, so I imagine it would take at least a good 4-5 extra miles if it's really cold.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 3,740 Likes on 2,644 Posts

I would definitely run 0w-30 oil. The majority of your engine wear is going to be at cold start up, getting the oil flowing sooner is most important, even more important than the short distance driving issue.

Short distance driving isn't that bad, a good synthetic oil like Amsoil can easily handle the extra condensation that may build up. Take the car on a good highway drive once a week, that will get the oil hot enough which will burn off any water/condensation build up, and impurities in the oil.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windhund116
Yes, 0-30W should be fine for long trips, etc. The weight of the oil, at engine normal operating temp, is 30W. Just like 5W-30 or 10W-30. It's just that the 0W oil flows better at cold ambient temps. And warms up faster to operating temp. Or, I should as, flows sooner under heated conditions.

Check out link:

http://www.bobistheo...&p=23366849&st=
I'm pretty sure that the first number indicates the oil weight when cold. It's doesn't actually mean "winter driving" is means "winter startup." The oil has a certain viscosity when in the "cold region" of the temperature specification span and while it heats up from the engine heat the molecular "chains" if you will bring the viscosity to the "running" temp range... which would be 30w.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,033 Posts

" My avatar....I have no idea whats shes saying,...but do we really care. "

If I can read lips correctly, it looks like: " I'm frustrated." I wasn't going to ask why. In case it was a personal matter.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Bicycle? Moped? Golf cart?

Quick Reply: Shutting off engine when cold, short commute question