S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Should Steering Location?

Old 10-06-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Should Steering Location?

Had a clutch put in and had alignment problems and was wondering if my steering wheel was put back correctly? My question is should the steering wheel end up at the same angle on different sides if I turn it lock to lock? When turned to the left it ends up with the top of the H pointed at drivers side the A pillar, when turned to the right it ends up pointed at the passenger door. Probably a stupid question but just want to make sure they put everything back right.

Thanks,

Mrcln1
Old 10-06-2004, 03:22 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Not a dumb question, a more concise way to ask it would be that you want to know if the center of the rack coincides with the Steering wheel being centered.
I don't know an easy way to figure that out for sure but if it makes you feel any better, mine is exactly how you describe (left, a-pillar; right 3-o'clock)
Old 10-06-2004, 03:30 PM

"When the car is going straight on a flat road with no crown, is the steering wheel in the straightahead position?"

Get another alignment.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:50 PM
RT

that's not what he's asking.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:04 PM

The steering wheel has a master spline and can only be installed in one position.

If the steering wheel is in the straightahead position when driving straight on a flat road, and the steering wheel still ends up at different angles at full lock, it means the steering angles are offset between the two front wheels.

I wasn't trying to rephrase his question. I was asking another question to try and answer it.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:42 PM

Its good to here that they could only put back on one way and that someone else has the same issue. I have noticed that even before they replaced the clutch that every alignment I have gotten has had the steering wheel a little to the right when on a good flat road. Too bad the only place that had it perfect was a evil Honda dealer that has screwed me over numerous times.

Thanks for your replys,

Mrcln1
Old 10-06-2004, 05:32 PM
RT

Not sure which joint alex is referring to but the one that gets seperated for the clutch R&I does NOT have a "MASTER" spline.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:04 PM

You're right. I was talking about the joint where the steering column engages the steering gear. That joint has a master spline, but the steering wheel itself does not.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by alexf20c,Oct 6 2004, 07:04 PM
You're right. I was talking about the joint where the steering column engages the steering gear. That joint has a master spline, but the steering wheel itself does not.
You sure about that? the steering wheel doesn't have to come off for a clutch job. The factory service manual specifically says to mark steering column joint when you disconnect it, no reason to if there is a master spline.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The coupler from the steering shaft to the rack that must be disconnected from the rack does NOT have a master spline. If your sterring wheel is not centered after the trans or clutch has been replaced, The coupler was not assembled on the same spline it was on previously.

Take it back, tell them the wheel is not centered, and they can fix it.

Quick Reply: Should Steering Location?