S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Should I be worried about retainers?

Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Military member i take it? Im active duty Air Force myself. HUA!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4forall
Military member i take it? Im active duty Air Force myself. HUA!
Navy Vet...

Thanks for your service.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for you active service gentlemen. I concede...Ap2 retainers are the sawzaw in engineering and technology. Effective immediately I will discontinue my product line to those who do not to purchase them. Thank you gentlemen for my freedom of speech, despite unpopular opinion.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Sandblasting is what I recommend to guys who want to diy.. The tct I sell is not sandblasted.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

If you have an AP1 and you over rev'ed your car even ONCE.....YES you should be worried about your retainers.

If you are like me and Billman and DON'T miss shift or if you do you realize your mistake before rev's climb over limiter then NO you should fine. Though there is nothing saying that you can't do it just for some extra insurance for the future.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Still on original ap1 retainers at 118k miles. Leaving them that way forever, to prove they can hold up to 9k all day.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Originally Posted by AlexS2200' timestamp='1348694776' post='22040310
[quote name='jordanksartell' timestamp='1348692918' post='22040220']My take from this thread.... not buying anything from Alex.... each person is entitled to their own opinion, but when you start bashing other people's views which are in no way inaccurate I take issue. So sorry, I don't care how great your TCT's are, or that you have way overpriced "better" CV cups for sale, I'll stick with Billman when it comes to my TCT. I refuse to do business with someone who has your such demeanor.

Oh, and just to add to this thread. I too have rebuilt a number of S2000 heads, NOT ONE had a bent valve but nearly every single one of them had cracked AP1 retainers.... /> />
^Why did you have to rebuild your cyl head the first time? Cracked retainers don't need a valve job. Lol I change retainers and valve train while the head and block are still together and then never have a problem from there. />

Just because you don't like me doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. Oh btw my TCTs are untouched WORM GEARS. Sandblasting is not the fix!! Sorry billman, not trying to start up a fight again. Just defending myself against haters.
It wasn't MY cylinder head. I have rebuilt multiple for local (to me) customers. Rebuilding because the customer wanted different valves. I'm just saying every single one the OEM valves were just fine. /> I know cracked retainers don't require a valve job..... I've swapped some 20-30 odd sets of retainers now without touching the rest of the head. /> />

Did I say I didn't like you? No. Don't make assumptions. If you read my post, I don't like your demeanor, that's all. I choose to not do business with you because of it. If you had a better attitude towards others, I wouldn't have any issue with you as this is my first real interaction with you. But your post just furthers my stance.

Oh BTW....I never said sandblasted worm gears are the answer for TCT's and I don't think Billman says they are either, it's only temporary if you go that route. That's just common knowledge as it's been posted countless times.

Originally Posted by apme123
I noticed every time Alex goes on to posts something, it's to bash other products and people. I noticed that he has done this on numerous occasions. Alex you really should change your attitude towards the people in the s2ki community, otherwise your business will suffer.
/> />
[/quote]

Hi everyone, I just dug through this post reading the all advice about preventative measures against potential valve train damage and I noticed Alex was an integral part of this discussion. I want to address all the negativity directed toward Alex's "demeanor" because it's pretty unfair to judge the guy when he's honestly trying to help all of you understand a point about dual-valve springs and Ti vs. steel retainers. He's entitled to his opinion (of course) and I very much respect his point of view because he does make logical sense throughout this discussion. I only want to make this clear. I know the guy and have gone to him for a heavy duty TCT replacement, valve adjustment, and a Berk single exhaust and let me tell you that he is one of the nicest and most sincere guys I have ever met at a shop. I cannot understand why you guys have to attack him on the way he expresses his opinion because, in the end, what matters is the substantive advice he gives, not his method of delivery (because you could care less about that). He wasn't being an asshole either. Anyway, the day I went to him to get my Berk exhaust and front sway bar installed, he engaged me in a highly intelligible discussion about upgrading to dual-valve springs and Ti retainers whenever I get chance for a pretty good price. That day his best friend's s2000 was outside his shop and Alex offered me to take a ride in the car (the car is fully modified as a track car and is built with most of Alex's products on his website Ballade Sports) and holy shit was I impressed by not just his shifting skills but the responsiveness of the car. Alex is an overall cool dude and does not convey an elitist attitude to his customers and friends. He genuinely tries to help correct problems our beloved s2000 encounters throughout its life and always tries to improve upon his own ideas. I just don't want you all to think he is some kind of jerk because he really isn't. If you lived in SoCal and had a chance to meet him I guarantee that your perception of him would be completely different, until then you shouldn't assume that his demeanor is directly tied to how he handles his business.