S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Should I tap my seat-bracket holes?

Old 07-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just think the OP's confusing harness mounting with seat mounting.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Jul 29 2006, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't retap any seat belt mounting hole for a different size bolt.

If you plan on tracking the car, some sanctioning bodies require backup plates and the eyebolts to have 2 nuts. Not to mention a rollbar and harness bar needed to safely run aftermarket harnesses.

Read up on the harness mounting info thread in the R&C forum http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=143847
After reading this thread I find that I'm trying to install this improperly, The strap are looping to the floor and connecting to the eyebolts there. There's just no way for me to have these seats and be safe without buying a cage is there?

I'll keep looking at possibilities, but since my current seats are sold and a roll cage isn't in my budget I think I'll have to risk it with this installation.

My goal is to get the hardtop and cage installed around christmas.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ek9,Jul 29 2006, 03:17 PM
I just think the OP's confusing harness mounting with seat mounting.
ya with this installation its the same bolt
Old 07-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

I wouldn't run a 4 point harness with out a sub strap on any seat on a S2k. The only way a 5-6 point is safe is to run a rollbar with harness bar, and a race seat. A crushco is not a safe rollbar.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:33 PM

Spitfire I could only but a nut behind the holes closest to the console.. They poke all the way through the car, you can see pavement through them, the others near the door are shrouded underneath
Old 07-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Ek9
Banned

Look in the manual, one front hole (outer) goes into a bracket that's welded to the floor pan. The other goes through to the floor. The bracket has threaded inserts welded to it. If you screw those inserts up, you'll have to get someone with a welder to fix it.

Maybe it would be better if you posted about what you actually have and not about how to install it. I think once we get a good visual idea of what you have, it'll be easier to help.

My harness only shares 2 bolts with the seats, the front two that hold the seat bracket and the 2 sub belt D rings. The harness at the rear goes to the factory seat belt hole with the eye bolts on one side and on the inner side through the body to a 6x6" backing plate. So basically I drilled only one hole through the body per side.

You don't NEED to use eye bolts for the harness, you simply install different D rings on the harness belts to make them mate up to whatever bolt holes you're using. I actually have removeble D rings on the harness that I can unclip from the rear eye bolts if I want to remove the harness.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ek9,Jul 29 2006, 07:49 PM
Look in the manual, one front hole (outer) goes into a bracket that's welded to the floor pan. The other goes through to the floor. The bracket has threaded inserts welded to it. If you screw those inserts up, you'll have to get someone with a welder to fix it.

Maybe it would be better if you posted about what you actually have and not about how to install it. I think once we get a good visual idea of what you have, it'll be easier to help.

My harness only shares 2 bolts with the seats, the front two that hold the seat bracket and the 2 sub belt D rings. The harness at the rear goes to the factory seat belt hole with the eye bolts on one side and on the inner side through the body to a 6x6" backing plate. So basically I drilled only one hole through the body per side.

You don't NEED to use eye bolts for the harness, you simply install different D rings on the harness belts to make them mate up to whatever bolt holes you're using. I actually have removeble D rings on the harness that I can unclip from the rear eye bolts if I want to remove the harness.
thanks for the tip, but my factory holes would only be on one side...

This is fristrating...
http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/reg...eat%20belts.jpg
thats the link to my harnesses, look close at what I've got as far as the clips go...
Old 07-30-2006, 05:35 AM
Ek9
Banned

So, basically we're only talking about the harness then not, mounting a racing seat?

What I'd do, is remove the factory outer seat belt bolt, install the eye bolt through the factory belt (which I assume you want to keep). then you can clip the outer lap belt to the factory location. The inner seat belt actually bolts to the seat and it's really tight so, I'm not sure you can use that location. I'd probably go behind the seat, look under the car and see if there's a nice piece of sheet metal and drill through and using a threaded backing plate, install another eye bold behind the seat. If you don't use a backing plate, that eye bolt will just rip out in a crash.

Different harness hardware which will fit your harness is readily available at speed shops. If you're just looking to 1/2 ass it, you can bolt them anywhere. If you want to do it right, every strap has to be placed exactly right or a harness is worse than the factory belt.

I don't have a clue what to do with the shoulders, you don't want them going to the floor no matter what. They should be within about 20 degress of inline (horizontally) with the top of your shoulders or you'll end up with compression fractures in your back.

This is just my opionion then, backed up by much reading about harness installs but, a harness without sub belts (between your legs) is more dangerous than a factory belt. You NEED for the lap belts to stay on your hips. If they ride up into you belly, they'll rip up your intestines. In an accident the shoulder straps try to pull the lap belts up which pulls them off your hips and into the soft parts you want protected. That's what the sub belt does, it keeps the lap belt positioned.

Here's the bible on mounting harnesses.

http://www.tuning.sk/dcentral.php?action=d...ing_harness.pdf