S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Should I return this Awesome Car to CARMAX?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I return this Awesome Car to CARMAX?

Hello there everyone! So after 10 years of salivating I finally wiped the drool and bought me a low mileage (37k) 2002 S2K. The test drive went fine so I signed my name to take her home. As soon as I left the dealership from a stop light I turned the AC and I began to notice and hear a rattling sound as I accelerated from first gear. Also noticed the sound upon decelerating and engaging the gear to neutral to stop. The following day I noticed more and more even my friend agreed that the noise is definitely coming from the tranny. I had another friend drove it and he told me to give it a slight rev and quickly apply gas when I engage the gear. He was right and the sound disappeared.

My question is, does this sound normal to you guys? I mean I have driven several manual speed cars before and I did not have to be feeling like I want to race all the time to just operate this "King" of the curves do I?

I have till Wednesday to decide if I should return this car or have them address my concern if it's even valid. By the way I bought a 150k extended warranty to make sure I get coverage so I have little to worry about. But if the clutch is giving up on this car I would certainly prefer that the dealer would take care of it. Sad because other than the irritating NOISE I can swear that I have found the car of my dream.

Please share me your thoughts and experience before I decide to return this beautifully maintained and awesome car to Carmax.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:20 PM

I would take it to the shop and have it checked, Because this doesnt sound normal to me. Good thing you have the extended warranty.

Oh and I have read several times in the forums that our cars do not like to come to stops in neutral.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:32 PM

"Oh and I have read several times in the forums that our cars do not like to come to stops in neutral"

I see so the rumor is true that this car was originally a 7 speed. Gee they must deleted a gear

Thanks for the heads up

I will definitely have it check by an independent transmission shop in morrow.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know where you got the 7 speed thing from. I don't believe there's ever been a 7 speed manual gearbox. As for not coming to a stop in neutral; that's just good driving habits.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by swervin zx6r,Jul 25 2010, 09:20 PM
Oh and I have read several times in the forums that our cars do not like to come to stops in neutral.

I do this often and I have the miles on the car to prove that it's ok to do.

" I would certainly prefer that the dealer would take care of it. "

Just take it back to the dealer and have them work it. If not go to another dealer to get the work done...maybe

Just because you have the extended warrenty dosen't meen they will fix it for free. You are not fully protected.