S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Should I preventively get new retainers?

Old 04-17-2007, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR,Apr 17 2007, 04:09 AM
They are lighter. TI retainers gall and thus become very very thin and may break after 10-20K, however they ae supposed to be an off-road/race part so that's not an issue when used for the purpose they were designed for..

On a car that sees any real mileage, AP2 retainers are the way to go if you have to replace them.

For the OP, if no over-rev was ever done, there's no reason to worry about them, just inspect them during valve adjustments for peace of mind.
Porsche uses Ti retainers in their cars, and most of them are not off road only.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fperra,Apr 17 2007, 08:33 AM
Porsche uses Ti retainers in their cars, and most of them are not off road only.
And I've sure they are coated if that's the case. I should have added a caveat that you can coat them with Nitride which should remove the wear issue, although I have no personal experience with TiN (Titanium Nitride) retainers, but plenty of experience with Ti retainers.

The Ti Retainers generally available in the aftermarket are NOT coated and ARE off road only. Since this is an S2000 forum I had to assume he wasn't talking about a production Porsche.... I honestly have no idea as my porsche experience is limited to 964's and older, none of which have Ti retainers to my knowledge, but even then my knowledge isn't all that great there.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kondor999,Apr 17 2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the great info guys. I must have been crazy not to think of the simple expedient of actually CHECKING the retainers :-).

Anyway, this forces another question:

How much do you think it would be to just visually inspect the retainers? As a mechanic, I'm about a 2/10 (mainly due to lack of tools/garage, not enthusiasm), so I'd prefer to let a pro handle it.

Thanks,

Erich
Best to learn how to do it yourself, I know Billman has plenty of pics in the UTH forum on what to look for, although I'm not 100% sure that there is an actual DIY thread on it. Next time I do a valve adjustment I could do one if there isn't one.. and if I remember..
Old 04-17-2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR,Apr 17 2007, 07:08 AM
And I've sure they are coated if that's the case. I should have added a caveat that you can coat them with Nitride which should remove the wear issue, although I have no personal experience with TiN (Titanium Nitride) retainers, but plenty of experience with Ti retainers.

The Ti Retainers generally available in the aftermarket are NOT coated and ARE off road only. Since this is an S2000 forum I had to assume he wasn't talking about a production Porsche.... I honestly have no idea as my porsche experience is limited to 964's and older, none of which have Ti retainers to my knowledge, but even then my knowledge isn't all that great there.
I have no idea if the Porsche retainers are coated or not. But I do know that there are different grades of titanium and I do know that wether they gall or not is a function of design and fit. Supertech retainers with supertech springs are good for well over 10000 miles. I have yet to hear of a Honda engine running these springs and retainers having a problem with the retainers failing. I spoke to Earl Lanskey about this shortly before he passes away and he stated that he had never heard of anyone having problems with the Supertech setup. And like I said in my prior post, the Ti retainers in the engine I recently pulled from my car have over 8000 miles on them and they are in perfect condition. I don't think Alanis used Nitrided Ti retainers when he built my head.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 AM

I can't find Billman250's tutorial on how to check my retainers. Can someone post a link if you have it?

Thanks,

Erich
Old 04-17-2007, 11:46 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=442653&st=0

I don't know if there is a DIY, but this has pictures on page 2 and 3 of cracked retainers and what they would look like in the car next to a good one.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:45 PM

Well galling is a property of the metal itself, not really the design. Ti will gall whenever there is shifting contact/movement against it, which does happen in a valvetrain. I never said they would fail at 5-10k, but I have seen them (not supertech, never used those) fail close to 20k, and seen some very very thin ones around 20k that haven't failed, but I've also seen some with 20k on them that look brand new.

Irregardless, uncoated Ti retainers SHOULD be inspected for wear during valve adjustments, just in case. I tend to use OEM retainers cause I'm lazy
Old 04-17-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

To inspect retainers, all you need to do is pull the valve cover. No other disassembly needed.

You cannot see the cracks, but the slightest crack will raise the retainers upwards on the keepers.

Study my pics, then do it
Old 04-17-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by wills2k106,Apr 17 2007, 11:46 AM
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=442653&st=0

I don't know if there is a DIY, but this has pictures on page 2 and 3 of cracked retainers and what they would look like in the car next to a good one.
Thank you SO much. The pics are actually on page 3 of the thread and show the difference a cracked retainer makes...

Now I just need to get the cover off. I wanted to get my valves adjusted anyway by the dealer. I wonder if they check for this or would be willing to...

Thanks,

Erich
Old 04-17-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR,Apr 17 2007, 01:45 PM
Well galling is a property of the metal itself, not really the design.
It's not that simple. The better the fit between the springs and the retainers, the less galling there will be.

Quick Reply: Should I preventively get new retainers?