S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Should I add more oil, or change it?

Old 01-03-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is absolutely no issue with adding "make-up" oil to your current fill - the existing oil's service life will be extended by the refreshment of additives and the dilution of the dirty oil.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2khondaimport,Jan 2 2005, 02:08 PM
Question answered. The key is to add oil prior the the 3k mark.

Everybody agree with revhi and Bigsalgt's insightful remark?
hey folks and mr moderator

My original question was whether or not to add new oil to old oil and the Q was answered by the 2nd reply. I didn't expect anything more.

I always believed that there was no such thing as a stupid question. Some disagree with this phrase. I asked a Q and received a simple answer; some folks tend to take it to the extreme and make their on assumptions.

CORALDOC: I have never heard of anyone who changed oil rather than topping it off between recommended oil change intervals, so I'm as baffled as xviper about that too.

I am the first then. This is why I asked to simple Q.

F02k: Oil only costs about a dollar a quart. Why would you not want to mix new with old?

Oil cost a dollar a court? Reread the Q, I said it is safe to add new to old, and he said it is fine as long it is b/t the interval of 3k miles, which is the next oil change.

TOPCAT: Let see.. run low on oil so you could have metal to metal contact. Or top it off with fresh new oil, but worry it might not mix well with the old oil and half guess that it might cause damage to the engine?? Are you for real??

That was my original qestion. Is it good to add new to old. I would never run low on oil topcat and not do anything about it. I usually change it, but now since my Q was answered, I will add new oil.

Wow, a simple Q and A lead to so many unrational assumptions. I'm not taking anything personal, so don't. Case closed.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s2khondaimport,Jan 3 2005, 12:17 PM
Case closed.
Done! This is getting nowhere. If you're happy, that's all that matters.
Closing this down before we get into more mis-interpretations.