S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Should I add more oil, or change it?

Old 01-02-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I add more oil, or change it?

All right, bottom line, our F20Cs are notorious for buring oil. Whenever I change my oil, I realize that I get about 4 qts. after I drain the oil back into the original containers. My question is that should I seldomly add more oil to the existing "used and darker" oil in the engine or just do a complete oil change.

I don't want to mix new oil with the old oil.

This is a swift Q + A.

regards,

s2khondaimport

Postscript: I never realized that it was unneccessary to jack my car up when performing an oil change. First off, I have to jack it up 2x because our cars are so low. This only applies to the folks who have cai (excluding C. Icebox). I realized that I can reach the bolt on the bottom of the engine from the top. The only thing is that you need a smaller oil drain pan. The standard black pans are too big to fit underneath the car. I'm not sure if this is a new or old invention, but it is certainly new to me.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you check your oil level between changes and how often do you change it? Not all S's burn oil. I would say add until 3000 miles than change.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:08 AM

Theres no question that some S2000 owners have experienced oil burn off. To help answer your question you should be looking at a couple of different areas. 1st, get into the habit of checking oil levels as often as possible, the manual actually states every fuel fill up! 2nd, its fine to add oil between oil changes when needed. This is of course as long as the oil has not exceeded its 3000 mile life span for the more spirited driver. If you fall under this category then just make sure oil changes are in the 3000 mile region and add when needed. NOTE, if your adding oil when the oil is past due for changing, your only going to hurt your pocket and F20c. I don't recommend skimping on oil changes with this vehicle!
Old 01-02-2005, 01:08 PM

Question answered. The key is to add oil prior the the 3k mark.

Everybody agree with revhi and Bigsalgt's insightful remark?
Old 01-02-2005, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2khondaimport,Jan 2 2005, 02:08 PM
Everybody agree with revhi and Bigsalgt's insightful remark?
If you had searched you would have found this same answer many, many times before. Keep track of your oil level and keep it topped off.

Among other things, a sudden increase in oil consumption is one of your key indicators of something going wrong before the engine is completely trashed. But unless you know what your normal engine oil consumption is, how would you spot an increase?
Old 01-02-2005, 02:14 PM

I agree with the above statements. The owners manual states that you should check the oil level every fill up. I keep my oil level at the full mark. (top x) You can pretty get a feel for how much oil you add in between oil changes. I usually have to add about 1/4 of a quart approximately every 1,500 miles. If I had to add say, 3/4 of a quart in say, 750 miles, that would be inconsistent with previous oil consumption.

As far as whether or not you should change your oil is entirely up to you. 3-4 thousand miles is a decent interval. If you only have 2,000 miles in between changes and 1/2 quart low on oil, you need to add 1/2 quart unless you want to change your interval to 2,000 miles.

You should always keep it topped off regardless of whether or not you have reached the end of your interval.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-02-2005, 04:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You have never added oil. You just wait till it gets low and then you CHANGE it? If so, all I gotta say is ................... WOW!
Old 01-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What are you guys talking about?! I thought you were supposed to wait until the engine is out of oil, then just refill it ... like the gasoline!? Is this not right?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:19 PM

I thought we were talking about coolant

Quick Reply: Should I add more oil, or change it?