S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Shifting problems please help

Old 06-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting problems please help

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum. My problem is in my s2k it is super hard to shift and when starting the car if I go to put it gear after its been started it almost kills my car but if I start it in gear it like jumps forward and starts and even with the clutch pressed all the way in it still rolls forward. If I hit my brakes while it's rolling forward it jumps around really bad and shakes the car. When I get going occasionally it grinds when I shift. And I have to force it to the next gear. Any IDea what it is that's causing my problem? I just put the clutch in about a month or two ago and it started doing this right after the break in period
Old 06-22-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

What exact clutch kit did you put into the car? If its an Exedy or Competition stage 2 kit I have a feeling a clutch kit component has broken, it is extremely common for throwout bearings and clutch springs carrier to fail. I had similar symptoms when my clutch spring carrier broke on a Competition stage 2 kit.

More commonly shifting problems are the result of air in the clutch lines. Check your clutch fluid reservoir, if it's empty there is your problem. Check your clutch master cylinder for leakage. If its leaking badly replace it. Either way you should give clutch bleeding a shot.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,072 Posts

You have a clutch release issue. Clutch is not fully releasing even though clutch pedal is to the floor. This can be the result of several possible things: (in order of likelihood)

Air in clutch lines
Old, nasty clutch fluid
Clutch pedal rod adjustment
Clutch splines not greased properly or wrong grease used
Broken clutch (broken spring from friction disk jammed in PP)
Clutch pedal distance adjustment
Bad MC
Bad slave cylinder

The worst possible case, but potentially more likely for you, is the clutch splines. Fixing is virtually same effort as replacing the clutch all over again. Who did the clutch, what did they use to grease the splines?

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 06-22-2016, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet
What exact clutch kit did you put into the car? If its an Exedy or Competition stage 2 kit I have a feeling a clutch kit component has broken, it is extremely common for throwout bearings and clutch springs carrier to fail. I had similar symptoms when my clutch spring carrier broke on a Competition stage 2 kit.

More commonly shifting problems are the result of air in the clutch lines. Check your clutch fluid reservoir, if it's empty there is your problem. Check your clutch master cylinder for leakage. If its leaking badly replace it. Either way you should give clutch bleeding a shot.
Where do I check my clutch fluid reservoir? Amd it was the exedy stage 2
Old 06-22-2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
You have a clutch release issue. Clutch is not fully releasing even though clutch pedal is to the floor. This can be the result of several possible things: (in order of likelihood)

Air in clutch lines
Old, nasty clutch fluid
Bad MC
Bad slave cylinder

The worst possible case, but potentially more likely for you, is the clutch splines. Fixing is virtually same effort as replacing the clutch all over again. Who did the clutch, what did they use to grease the splines?

A local mechanic did my clutch and I'm not sure what they used to grease the splines I didn't have access to a lift or I would have done it myself. But one thing I don't know how to do is bleed the clutch. How do I go about that?
Old 06-22-2016, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Taylors_s2k
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1466618888' post='23999716

Air in clutch lines
Old, nasty clutch fluid
Bad MC
Bad slave cylinder

A local mechanic did my clutch and I'm not sure what they used to grease the splines I didn't have access to a lift or I would have done it myself. But one thing I don't know how to do is bleed the clutch. How do I go about that?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6gtErFxm5U[/media]
Old 06-22-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet' timestamp='1466617822' post='23999703

Where do I check my clutch fluid reservoir? Amd it was the exedy stage 2
Exedy clutch... Now I am more inclined to suggest that something may have failed. Nevertheless, check the easy stuff first!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet
Originally Posted by Taylors_s2k' timestamp='1466639737' post='23999992
[quote name='Car Analogy' timestamp='1466618888' post='23999716']

Air in clutch lines
Old, nasty clutch fluid
Bad MC
Bad slave cylinder

[/quote]
My next free time really to do this would be Friday after work. Any idea where i could get a hose like that?
Old 06-22-2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet' timestamp='1466640157' post='23999996
[quote name='Taylors_s2k' timestamp='1466639737' post='23999992']
[quote name='Car Analogy' timestamp='1466618888' post='23999716']

Air in clutch lines
Old, nasty clutch fluid
Bad MC
Bad slave cylinder

[/quote]
My next free time really to do this would be Friday after work. Any idea where i could get a hose like that?
[/quote]

Home Depot / Any hardware store.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:07 PM

@Soviet thank . I really appreciate the help. I'll see if that works

Quick Reply: Shifting problems please help