S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

shifting problems

Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting problems

Hi,

Hoping if anyone could shed some light on my issue with shifting. Own a 2002 ap1 and recently installed a carbonetics single carbon clutch.

In low revs car shifts like butter throughout all gears however after VTEC engagement or nearing 9k rev when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear I have problems engaging the shift lever to this gear after clutching in, similarly when shifting to third and also fourth at the same high revs after VTEC engagement. I have to wait a bit longer only then I am able to engage the gear.

I'm trying to diagnose where the issue could be, is it my synchros are going? Is it due to clutch pedal not operating efficient when I clutch in to change gear quickly? Does the clutch oil have an air bubble and needs to be redone?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thx.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar issue in my 06 with recently replaced stg 2 competition clutch. 5 and 6th hard to get into at high rpms in vtec, and occasionally 4th. Never any issues previously.

Tuned in!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I would bleed the clutch line, it could have air bubbles in it, make sure you have fresh clean fluid in the clutch master cylinder and it is clean of all deposits.

Check the clutch rod freeplay, it may need adjustment, if it has too much freeplay it can affect the clutch disengagement.

How old is the tranny fluid ?, what fluid are you running in the tranny ?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Thx for the reply and suggesion. Im using redline mtl. It was change abt 4 months ago but I havent used th car much due to being overseas. But prior to going overseas i did a few spirited runs and noticed 2nd and 3rd grind slighly and hard to engage when shifting at high rpm.

Thx
Old 12-28-2013, 01:36 AM

start with changing the fluid in the clutch master cylinder and bleed the clutch...then id look into re-greasing the shifter...between those two things and relatively new-ish tranny fluid, it should feel 100 times better
Old 12-28-2013, 06:46 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by tugsta
Thx for the reply and suggesion. Im using redline mtl. It was change abt 4 months ago but I havent used th car much due to being overseas. But prior to going overseas i did a few spirited runs and noticed 2nd and 3rd grind slighly and hard to engage when shifting at high rpm.

Thx
Redline MTL is a great fluid, but it is thicker than the Honda MTF2 that is spec'd for our trannies. I find that it works good when really hot, but if it isn't fully hot it can give you those issues. I think your tranny is too "new" to be running a thicker tranny fluid. I think this is your main issue.

My car had Redline MTL in the tranny when I bought it, I had an issue with 1st-2nd gear slightly grinding. Changing to Honda MTF2 made an immediate difference. I followed up with a re-grease of shifter, clutch rod freeplay adjustment, clutch fluid mc cleaning and fluid swap. My tranny runs like it is brand new now in really cold or hot conditions, so I'm hesitant to try other fluids. I run a heavier shift knob but that's just for improved feel.

I'm willing to bet Honda MTF2, Amsoil MTF, or GM Synchromesh Friction Modified will work better than the Redline MTL. Bleeding the clutch fluid line might be worth a try if the line was opened up in the past.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the helpful feedback, car will be going in tomorrow, I will get my mechanic to have a thorough look at the suggestions above and go from there. Shall report back soon. Thx
Old 02-04-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tugsta
Thanks for the helpful feedback, car will be going in tomorrow, I will get my mechanic to have a thorough look at the suggestions above and go from there. Shall report back soon. Thx
an oldie here.

I'm having the same issues and was wondering what ended up fixing the issue, if a solution was in fact discovered.

I have an SOS Sport Clutch and just recently started noticing the same happening in pretty much all gears. It all started with only 4th gear giving an issue, but not all.

Thanks.