S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Shifter Frozen during Cold Weather

Old 12-20-2004, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Frozen during Cold Weather

It's dropping below zero here in PA at the moment and the last 2 very cold nights the transmission has been COMPLETELY FROZEN. After warming the card up for 20+ mins it's taken me about 10 mins each time to literally batter the tranny into submission - just pushing and pulling the stick in all 4 directions until it starts to give and then actually clunks into each gear. Took it to the dealership today and they say it needs a new clutch!! Is it just me or it this complete and utter BS? Maybe try flushing the tranny fluid before embarking on $1280 worth of work. And even then, surely it would be a new tranny, not the clutch - the car is shiftin ok once the stick is moving... whaddya reckon people?

Thanks for input,

JB

EDIT I should reiterate - when i say below zero i mean centigrade - i s'pose i should say below freezing. Only been living full-time in the US for 8 months now!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the clutch is unrelated. Does the shifter move when the engine is off?

What oil is in your tranny? When I was using Redline MT-90, it was VERY difficult to shift after sitting outside in freezing temps. Regardless of what you are using, I suggest changing to GM Synchromesh Friction Modified (not the regular GM Synchromesh).
Old 12-20-2004, 10:32 AM

No - shifter is literally frozen solid. It doesn't feel mechanically frozen, it feels frozen frozen!
Old 12-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor

That definitely wouldn't be the clutch then. If it were me, I would remove the shift lever boot(s) and see if there is water in there.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 AM

As with gernby, I am also interested in knowing what fluid you have in the tranny. I have started and driven my car after it has sat outside at -35*C. Although the stick is really stiff, it still moves and after idling in neutral for 3 to 5 minutes (while I scrape all the ice and snow off the glass, it shifts like molassus but it still functions adequately. I have always used the Honda MTF.
Have you even ever changed the fluid out on your '00?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would the shifter go into gear with the engine not running? If so it sounds like clutch drag causing a stiff shifter as you try to push the shifter past the syncro rings.

Switch the engine off and see if it will go in gear.

The dragging clutch could be hydralic related with the cold weather shrinking the seals in the master/slave cylinder. Check the clutch fluid level is OK and even get new fluid put through the clutch hydralics.

good luck

Chris.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:36 AM

Chris - no, the lever was frozen solid, no movement with engine on or off.

I got a PM asking how it went....

[QUOTE]I was wondering if you still had that shifter problem (in cold weather)...i have the same situation...it is just frozen solid...i was wondering if you solved the problem yet...and if so...what did you do?
Old 12-28-2004, 09:59 AM

my shifter is also really stiff when cold.... i have to litterally push/shove it into gear....

but not frozen like blueboyuk has stated
Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM

im going to bump this thread... i went outside to drive my 2000 honda s2000 and the shifter is completely frozen (its below freezing temp outside).. clutch depresses fine, car starts fine, the shifter will not budge AT ALL! its stuck in neutral (it wont sway back n forth in neutral either)

has anyone figured out what it is ? im going to attempt to replace my trans fluid and see what effect ill have , just wanted to make sure this will cure the problem beforehand...

thanks

edit: this happened last week too but as soon as the temperature outside got warmer, it was moving fine again
Old 01-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

In the shifter lube TSB there is a recommendation to check for water leakage into the shifter housing, if you are getting that water leakage it would freeze in cold temps and keep the shifter from moving smoothly.

Quick Reply: Shifter Frozen during Cold Weather