S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

shifted 4 to 3 over rev light flashed twice

Old 09-11-2009, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifted 4 to 3 over rev light flashed twice

I think i heared some where in these forums if you over rev you should take off your valve cover and check if some thing is missed up i forgot what. oh yeah and i heared that it takes time for your engine to blow if you missed them up and some times it would even take months for your engine to blow.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=728941

This just happened to me. Basically it's in your best interest to inspect your valves and your retainers. If you slightly damaged youa retainer, it will break someday causing your valve to fall into your piston. At that point you'll need a new engine. I have my engine partially disassembled in the garage as we speak from this. It wasn't even my freaking fault. :/
Old 09-11-2009, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Revtec,Sep 11 2009, 09:27 AM
I think i heared some where in these forums if you over rev you should take off your valve cover and check if some thing is missed up i forgot what. oh yeah and i heared that it takes time for your engine to blow if you missed them up and some times it would even take months for your engine to blow.
btw.. the rev-light flashing does not necessarily indicates over-rev.. it flashes before the ignition cut, and the ignition cut is set before the rev limit.

What I mean is that in all over-revs you will see the light flashing.. but not all light flashings are over-rev (I see the rev light flashing almost every day in my car)
Old 09-11-2009, 02:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rev light=rev limit
Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 AM

From what I've been reading a down shift over rev is alot worse than hittng the rev limiter on the up shift.Thus the saying "brakes are cheaper than engines" brake,blip,shift.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fast Jack,Sep 11 2009, 12:18 PM
From what I've been reading a down shift over rev is alot worse than hittng the rev limiter on the up shift.
There's nothing worse or bad or evil on hitting the ignition-cut while up-shifting (other than losing acceleration/time)
Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fast Jack,Sep 11 2009, 03:18 AM
From what I've been reading a down shift over rev is alot worse than hittng the rev limiter on the up shift.Thus the saying "brakes are cheaper than engines" brake,blip,shift.
An overrev caused by a misshift is definitely worse than hitting your rev limiter. When you hit 9k (assuming you have an AP1) there's a fuel cut that wont allow you to go any further. This protects your engine from overring.

However, when you overrev due to a misshift, your ecu can't offer proctection due to a manual mistake, it's like your forcing a lower gear to engage which is deadly to your engine/head etc. So don't misshift! LOL.

To the OP, you have a ticking time bomb in your hands now, it's only a matter of time until the retainer gives up, when is this gonna happend? You never know.. Have it checked.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Freddy,Sep 11 2009, 07:20 AM
An overrev caused by a misshift is definitely worse than hitting your rev limiter. When you hit 9k (assuming you have an AP1) there's a fuel cut that wont allow you to go any further. This protects your engine from overring.

However, when you overrev due to a misshift, your ecu can't offer proctection due to a manual mistake, it's like your forcing a lower gear to engage which is deadly to your engine/head etc. So don't misshift! LOL.

To the OP, you have a ticking time bomb in your hands now, it's only a matter of time until the retainer gives up, when is this gonna happend? You never know.. Have it checked.
^ what he said get that bad boy checked ASAP
Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by deibit,Sep 11 2009, 04:03 AM
There's nothing worse or bad or evil on hitting the ignition-cut while up-shifting (other than losing acceleration/time)
You should of never told me that
Old 09-11-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

It's pretty remarkable that the F20 can do 9k all day every day without much more fuss than some oil consumption, but one overrev which forces the pistons to move at 10 or maybe 11k rpm for a second will destroy it in time.

Shows how high strung our motors are.

Quick Reply: shifted 4 to 3 over rev light flashed twice