S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

She's dripping oil

Old 05-11-2003, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two days ago I went over a speed bum (at a crawling 10km/hr) and something under the car hit it. This morning there's some oil on the garage floor, not a huge amount but enough to be worry. I jacked her up and took some pics of under the car. The oil level is still at high.

I can't see any crack on the oil pan but there's definitely oil coming out of it.

Can anyone make out if there's something wrong here? is the stain normal?
Old 05-11-2003, 07:07 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there some obvious damage from hitting something?
Old 05-11-2003, 07:10 AM

You sure itz not from the oil filter? If it wasn't properly installed it may leak from there. Sometimes when changing the filter the ring around the old filter stays on the block and the new filter can't screw in as tight as it should be cause it has the new ring and the old ring between it. If it is from the filter than try taking the filter out make sure there is one ring around the filter and check to see if therez another filter ring where the filter is placed on the block. I had that trouble once (fortunately not on my S).

Tuner
Old 05-11-2003, 07:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Having taken this oil pan off, I noticed that the inside construction looks like a "spider webbing" of cracks and ridges (more like what you would see on a dry lake bed). The diff casing is the same. I don't know why it is constructed like this but it looks almost defective had I not seen this in both casings. I suppose if you whacked that pan hard enough you could cause one of the existing "fault lines" to fracture all the way through. This is just a hypothesis.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:41 AM

I don't believe the oil pan would hit a speed bump b/c the front wheels are going to pick up the engine and not allow it to hit anything. It is more likely to hit along the middle of the car (under the doors) than anywhere else on a speed bumb. I hit my car numerous times there going in and out of somewhat low driveways due to the fact that my car is lowered 2 inches, and never a problem. I agree with the poster above that it is prob. the old oil filter gasket stuck or either the drain plug is not tight enough. If you changed the oil already also be sure that the crush washer is on the drain bolt.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]Having taken this oil pan off, I noticed that the inside construction looks like a "spider webbing" of cracks and ridges (more like what you would see on a dry lake bed).
Old 05-11-2003, 07:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spankee
[B]

Those cracks and ridges are actually due to part of the casting process when they manufacture the casings and pans.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Indecision
[B]Two days ago I went over a speed bum (at a crawling 10km/hr) and something under the car hit it. This morning there's some oil on the garage floor, not a huge amount but enough to be worry. I jacked her up and took some pics of under the car. The oil level is still at high.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:52 AM

Whatever hit the speedbump will have a scuff on it..and maybe some yellow or white paint!

Stan
Old 05-11-2003, 11:45 AM

My first thought were exactly as Xviper said, a very fine crack. But now that it's proven that's not the case I'm not too worry.

As far as the speed bump is concern this one doesn't have any yellow or any kind of marking on them. I can't find any marking under the car or where exactly the speed bump made contact. I did go over it at an angle to avoid potential damage to my front lip. After the front wheels rolled over I heard a loud noise as if though I just landed in a pot hole!

It could be the oil filter as I had an oil change not too long ago. I can also see some oil residue directly across the oil filter. Will post pics in a sec.

JL, I was way too busy running around yesterday. The long weekend for sure

Quick Reply: She's dripping oil