S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Servicing 'euphoria' short lived!

Old 08-12-2003, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servicing 'euphoria' short lived!

Posted this on the UK site, but any help here would be appreciated.

After congratulating myself on having the gearbox oil changed at service last Thursday and the wonderfully smooth shift I now enjoy, I'm now having second thoughts.

I also asked the dealer to change the diff oil - all seemed well until yesterday when a distinct 'rear axle' noise became evident at speeds of 40-60. I had been driving at these speeds (or higher ) since the service and hadn't noticed anything untoward. The noise, which is pretty obvious and sounds a bit like I'm being followed by a motorbike, is speed related and not dependent on which gear I'm in.

Concerned something fundamental had been done wrong, took it back to dealer today who checked with Honda technos and 'flushed' out the oil again and refilled. Result - noise still there

No obvious solution has appeared yet, although the fact the noise has appeared so soon after an oil change makes me a little suspicious. Having said that, I haven't really seen any threads to suggest this kind of problem. Guy at Honda told me on older cars (not the S, but older cars generally), he had experienced diffs becoming noisy after replacing the oil, but that he wouldn't have expected that from the S, especially as the car has only done <17k miles.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 08-12-2003, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in the USA some dealerships have been known to put the wrong fluid in the differential. Do you have a receipt showing the type of oil used in the replacement?

The differential is supposed to use gear oil, but some dealers have used VTM-4 which is supposed to be used in Pilot and CRV differentials, not in the S2000. Also note that the transmission is supposed to use Honda MTF or equivalent, not the more typically used gear oil.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
Here in the USA some dealerships have been known to put the wrong fluid in the differential. Do you have a receipt showing the type of oil used in the replacement?

The differential is supposed to use gear oil, but some dealers have used VTM-4 which is supposed to be used in Pilot and CRV differentials, not in the S2000. Also note that the transmission is supposed to use Honda MTF or equivalent, not the more typically used gear oil.
Thanks for the feedback - can't tell what oil the dealer has used by looking at his invoice but will ask tomorrow. In my owner manual they recommend SAE90 oil rather than MTF. I wonder if the spec is different depending on where the car's being used (ie sunny Florida vs temperate Brit)?
Old 08-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

CoralDoc was recommending OEM Honda MTF for the transmission, not the differential. Honda doesn't have an OEM oil for the diff, so you should use some GL5 or GL6 gear oil (SAE 90, 75W-90, etc.).
Old 08-13-2003, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is easy - the Honda original oil is very thick, about a straight 90 w. The dealer no doubt replaced it with a 80w90, or even a 75w90. These thinner oils do not mask gear noise as effectively as higher vis oils. It is a cosmetic, not mechanical, issue - learn to live with it, or see if you can source a 90w GL-5. Personally I would live with it, since the better lunrication at lower temps is worth it.

GL-6 is not a valid spec - it was dropped by API.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:58 AM

Road Rage,

Thanks for that info. My dealer has the car tomorrow to run through some things the Honda technical guys have come up with - I'm going to see exactly what oil they used and make a suggestion. I can't live with the noise as it's too annoying!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:33 PM

i changed my diff. fluid last week and the rear end seems quieter now. switched from oem straight 90 to mobil 1 75w90 gear oil.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
[B]This is easy - the Honda original oil is very thick, about a straight 90 w. The dealer no doubt replaced it with a 80w90, or even a 75w90. These thinner oils do not mask gear noise as effectively as higher vis oils. It is a cosmetic, not mechanical, issue - learn to live with it, or see if you can source a 90w GL-5. Personally I would live with it, since the better lunrication at lower temps is worth it.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I would be skeptical of it being a 90w oil, try to find some in an auto parts store.

But if they are truly accurate on that point, then it sounds like you have gear wear of the ring, pinion, or both. Does the sound change in tone if you "unload" the diff by slightly letting on and off the throttle? If it only happens on curves, sounds like the Torsen is torsened out. Have you checked the obvious: equal tire pressures?
Old 08-18-2003, 02:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have a look at this thread, in particular, scroll down to the post by "Incubus".
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=115704

Quick Reply: Servicing 'euphoria' short lived!