S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Service Bulletin FROM 2001 ABOUT 1st to 2nd Grind!

Old 12-05-2006, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Bulletin FROM 2001 ABOUT 1st to 2nd Grind!

Just bought a 2000 S2K from a guy and he never raced the car so I find out that the 2nd gear grind effects this car. I just bought it about a month ago and found this out. Can I still collect on this Service Bulletin because it was issued back in 2001 but effects all 2000 model s2k's?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=275203

If so or not, what can I say to them because I see at the bottom of the bulletin has the out of warranty statement in which my car have 63,xxx miles on it right now. What can I do? Please advise. Thanks
Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 AM
Former Moderator

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You are out of warranty and have been since 03. It's not covered.

You can complain to a dealer, they will refer you to honda's customer service #. It's up to Honda if they will help you.

Don't count on it. AHM looks at repair history, if the car has been serviced at the dealer when considering Goodwill warranty.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unlikely, but worth a shot. Even when the TSB was newly issued some people had trouble getting Honda to do the repair. The most commeon excuse was that the clutch had been abused, and in some cases that was true.

The clutch in my MY 2000 car was replaced at 35k miles under this TSB (along with replacing defective gears, synchros and spacers in the transmission). BTW, I just looked atr the record, and they charged me $86.81 to flush and refill the clutch hydrailic fluid!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:41 AM

I will give it a try . Also, if the diff is bad (making whinning sound) and from the research on the boards, its a bad diff. What if I keep driving it like that. What will happen. I drives fine but just the noise i annoying. Will prob get both things repaired after the holidays but any long term effect if it is not repaired ? Thanks

Here is the link to my exact same problem this guy had:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=199536
Old 12-05-2006, 06:09 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you try to have the diff & tranny replaced, you might try changing the fluids. The previous owner may not have ever changed the oil in either the diff or the tranny.

Amazing what fresh oil can do in the tranny...the new Honda MTL is quite good. The diff just uses Mobil 1 75w/90 diff oil.

BTW...if the diff does need a rebuild, that is the perfect time to step up to the 4.57r gears. Probably the best performance mod for the money for the S2k.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the imput guys! I alread changed the Diff fluid and the sound is still there Havent changed the tranny fluid yet but will be doing that soon. As for the gears, what the difference in the 4.44, 4.57, and the 4.77 ? Fuel economy for them? I dont really drive on the HW much (maybe and hour to work and back a day) very inerested in the gears. How much will it be and also for install. Im pretty sure my diff is gone but will be calling Honda today. No responses for the question if I drive on the diff the way it is right now, any repercussions ? Thanks!!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Former Moderator

Most AP1s go with the 4.57r...seems to be the best compromise. Many say that their city mpg actually improves with the gears...highway will suffer somewhat (have heard it drop from 30mpg to 27mpg).

You can buy the ring&pinion + install kit and have a local install (this is somewhat risky, it has to be done right by Honda's standards and not the typical "this is the way I always do it" mechanic attitude).

Probably the best and easiest way is to take advantage of Hardtop Guy's install service. You can either send him your diff and it will be rebuilt with the new ring&pinion (correctly); or he will send you a diff and you then send him your's once you do the swap.

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/product.ph...60&cat=0&page=1

Note: The $2500 includes a $1000 core charge (which you get back when you send in your diff) as well as some options you may or may not want (Comptech reinforced diff). One option you will likely want is the calibrator (or yellow-box). Your new gears will cause the speedo to be incorrect...the calibrator corrects it.

So if you send him your diff, and get no options other than the yellow-box, your cost is $1,139.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by negcamber,Dec 5 2006, 07:03 PM
So if you send him your diff, and get no options other than the yellow-box, your cost is $1,139.
probably still out of his/hers range based on (the poster) trying to get a warranty claim on a 6-7 year old car.
i am not trying to be an asshole, but come on.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Former Moderator

Not much other choice if the diff is dead...rebuild to stock specs will be just as expensive if his ring & pinion are toast. He might find a used diff at a junk yard (enough of us have been totalling our cars)...but that is a risk and unknown too.

Unfortunately, sometimes just gotta pay to play...that's a risk of buying a used car.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the info!!! I wanted to correct the term "dead" as I meant that I am 100% sure that the whining noise is the Diff but the diff is not actually "Dead" . It still runs perfectly besides from the noise . If I continue driving with the diff like this (No effects in driving nor performance, only the annoying whining noise) will it cause any other harm to the car or damage the diff to the point that I will not be able to do the 4.57 final gear? I bought the car used for 8k with 63k miles on it. The guy hopped a curb trying to avoid an accident and I sincerely think he sold the car not knowing the diff may have been bad . He did not know much about cars and was just worried about having the car claimed on his insurance as he already had an accident with another sports car claim on the same policy. All in all, worth the fix for a low mile clean title 20000 S2000. Please advise me on how long I have before or if the diff will die for good. Thanks for all the good info guys. Exact info I am looking for!! Will probably go with the Hardtop Guy's install but that is a bit pricey for my taste. Are there any group buys right now and any way they can work with a customer? Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: Service Bulletin FROM 2001 ABOUT 1st to 2nd Grind!