S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Serpentine belt keeps 'jumping off' track? *with video*

Old 11-01-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine belt keeps 'jumping off' track? *with video*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pUAWNWwgUU

First noticed by hearing some squeaking sometimes, so when I popped my hood to take a look I was surprised to say the least, to see that my belt was hanging off by 1 of those little channels, only on the tensioner pulley.

So I replaced the belt, to no avail, still would jump right off after I put it back on track by using a 14mm to pull the tensioner back for adjusting.
I then ordered a tensioner pulley thinking it could be a shot bearing or something. That arrived today, and after installation, still the exact same problem.

The video is from my old belt and old tensioner, but the exact same thing happens still.
It almost seems like the tensioner needs to be sticking out an extra 1/4-1/2" or so to be 'in line' with the rest of the pulley system.

this problem is driving me crazy! and the car is my daily driver, so you can imagine the nervousness I get every time I drive (only to and from work, what I have to commute for. (quick 5 minute drive)
If anyone could help, or has any ideas, I'd be truly grateful. I have no idea where to go from here.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

My bet is on tensioner. Not the pulley but the spring mechanism.

Simply put, one of the pulleys is out of alignment.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:57 PM

That makes sense, because it is pretty much the only thing that it could possibly be... but it was hard for me to come to terms with, because it seems mechanically sound. I'll order one this evening.

Thank you for the help.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:37 PM

Okay, I just finished replacing the whole belt tensioner assembly, including a new new pulley that came with it.
Started the car up, and the exact same thing happens

I have literally ran out of options/ideas
Anyone with any thought as to what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated

1. Belt or pulley was squeaky
2. I saw that the belt was off track, and would jump right off if realigned again.
3. Replaced belt (still jumped/squeaks)
4. Replaced pulley in case bearing was thrown (still jumped/squeaked)
5. Replaced whole tensioner assembly (still jumps, not sure about any squeaking because I haven't driven it yet)
Old 11-06-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Turn it by hand and see if you tell

Maybe the ac compression is doing it
Old 11-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Serpentine belt keeps 'jumping off' track? *with video*-uzp8rcw.jpg

After removing the air box and peeking around a bit, I noticed this pulley seems quite shot, I can wiggle it around quite a bit

Is this the idler pulley? Anyhow I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a pulley set, just replacing all the other pulleys as well. Not 100% sure if it will fix the jumping, but it definitely needs to be done anyhow..
Old 11-06-2013, 02:07 PM

A lot of cars use a bonded harmonic balancer that also doubles as a pulley. It is even more useful on a high RPM motor. The pulley function is pretty clear. The rubber between the center section and outer ring makes it a harmonic balancer which helps absorb crankshaft vibration which helps the engine make more horsepower and live longer. The rubber bonding can deteriorate and come apart, that was the first thing I thought when I saw the crankshaft pulley picture. I've seen cars where the pulley was wobbling at idle. You can replace the other pulleys with everything apart, but you probably don't have to, my S2000 has 167K on all original pulleys and belt too.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 PM

ncaudio, you are absolutely correct! I took the air box off again, and the belt. I was messing with all the pulleys and I literally slipped off the outside portion of the pulley. I gorilla glue epoxy-ed it for now, until my new aluminum pulley set comes in.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd
ncaudio, you are absolutely correct! I took the air box off again, and the belt. I was messing with all the pulleys and I literally slipped off the outside portion of the pulley. I gorilla glue epoxy-ed it for now, until my new aluminum pulley set comes in.

You're sure it's just the pulley right? From what I've gathered the pulley itself separated from the portion held on by the nut. Car running ok??

Don't know about glueing the pulley on...sounds like a ticking time bomb to me. I'm not totally sure what would happen to a motor if the entire pulley popped off in the middle of an engine rev, but it can't be a good thing.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

Is the OP referring to the crank pulley in the pic or the idle pulley above it?

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt keeps 'jumping off' track? *with video*