S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Serpentine Belt

Old 03-13-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt

My serpentine belt just shredded to bits. I'm going to replace it in the morning, does anyone have any pics or diagrams of what pulleys the belt goes over/under and torque specs? Also the belt also destroyed some kind of sensor thing. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I need to get a new one. It has two vacuum hoses running in to it, it's attached to the stock air box and it also plugs in at the top. Also any pics of which vacuum hose goes where from that thing would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,639 Posts

I might be able to scan a diagram from the service manual, earliest is sometime tomorrow morning by email, if you pm me your email address. There is a thread on the forums on how to do it, try a search it had pictures and everything.

If you want to save a few bucks there is a Goodyear Gatorback belt made for our car. I'm running one and I like the design, you should be able to find it from a local auto supply store. part number 4060578. There is no torque setting, just put a wrench or socket on the tensioner bolt and turn it to the left and it allows the belt to be installed. The job is alot easier if you remove the intake box, there is a diy thread on this somewhere.

The belt took out the solenoid for the air injection system, it has to vacuum hoses attaching to the bottom of it and one electrical plug at the top. I've got a spare one available but I'm pretty far away from ya.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I found a downloadable service manual and found the solenoid and routing for the vacuum hoses, I just have to find the routing for the serpentine belt. I tried the search feature and I'll keep looking, I'll find that belt you suggested as well
Old 03-13-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe there is a sticker with the routing diagram for the belt somewhere on the underside of the hood. If i'm mistaken, there is definitely a diagram in the owners manual if you have one.

And I agree about the gatorback belt, i've had mine on for a couple years now it has been great and it's only a fraction of the cost of the honda belt.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

better yet, here you go:

The following users liked this post:
RolanTHUNDER (02-04-2017)
Old 03-14-2010, 05:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the gatorback cause more noise? I'm trying to reduce the noise from the engine bay. not sure what else to do to help =/
Old 03-14-2010, 05:59 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have not noticed the gatorback making noise.
Make sure you check out the pulleys and they rotate freely. The idler pulley can freeze up.
It is not normal for a belt to shred.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:26 AM

The Gatorback belts are designed to reduce noise and run cooler based on the way the ribs are cut, compared to normal belt designs, so if anything it will be quieter. They are also 1/3rd the price of an OEM Honda belt.

How old was your belt ?. I changed mine at 55k, I thought it looked good from above the engine bay, but after it was removed it was starting to fray a bit along the edges. There wasn't any cracking but some meterial was fraying.

I initially decided to change it as the indicator mark was at the end of the indentation on the maintenance box that is on the tensioner. After putting on a new belt the indicator moved to the start of the box, so the old belt had stretched a bit.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ive been meaning to order a belt as well, just turned the 60k mark on mine. better too soon than too late
Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer,Mar 14 2010, 11:32 AM
ive been meaning to order a belt as well, just turned the 60k mark on mine. better too soon than too late
yeah it's cheap maintenance. I don't know of any real maintenance mileage for replacement, I thought they could last 100,000+, but then you also have to look at the maintenance indicator mark that is on the tensioner, if it is at the end of the indicator box or beyond the mark the belt should be changed.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt