S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

serious question about motor oil

Old 11-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serious question about motor oil

i belong to a local forum adn some one posted this:
http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchan...Motor%20Oil.pdf

reading it and thinking about it i dont understand. what oil do you guys use and why? ive always used and been told to use mobil1 but this says otherwise

discuss:
Old 11-09-2010, 03:18 PM

first step: read the oil journals posted in this forum.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 PM

what does that have to do with the question what oil you use and why?
have you heard of this before?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kVTAK,Nov 9 2010, 08:00 PM
i belong to a local forum adn some one posted this:
http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchan...Motor%20Oil.pdf

reading it and thinking about it i dont understand. what oil do you guys use and why? ive always used and been told to use mobil1 but this says otherwise

discuss:
that internet opinion has nothing to do with stock S2000 motors, or any S2000 for that matter. Our motors don't produce 100 bhp per piston, aren't turbocharged, and subsequently don't produce oil temps anywhere near what those engines produce in hard driving conditions.

Stock S2000 motors don't need an overdose of zinc or phosphorous, I know because I've tried boosting those elements with no discernible difference/benefit. Our engines shouldn't be run with a 50 weight motor oil. There is nothing wrong with Mobil1, if I ran it I'd run their EP formula which is excellent. We can use 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 0w40, 5w40 viscosities.

Don't take that experiment as being important unless you are running that engine with that level of power, and even then take their conclusions with a grain of salt. I'm sure if they compared Mobil1 15w50 to BP 20w50 the results would have been different, I wouldn't knock an oil based on any internet test. BP oil may be a good oil, but that test doesn't prove that Mobil1 is anything less than a good oil.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM

Old 11-09-2010, 04:26 PM

The second I see "store.xxxxx" in a "scientific" paper I laugh.

Take it with a grain of salt.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Nov 9 2010, 05:26 PM
The second I see "store.xxxxx" in a "scientific" paper I laugh.

Take it with a grain of salt.
thats kinda what i was thinking but thats why i ask questions. i know chevy still puts it in all their cars including the new zr1 and porche uses it in they cars from the factory so i couldnt see that if the oil was crap like they tried to explain.

reading throught the oil journals as suggested by the second post i found where amsoil produced a study on both synoils and mineral oils and mobil1 was in the top through all the tests but like 1 or 2. but the ones that were most important it was top of the list.

im not a chem nerd or anything so UOAs dont mean crap to me. its like reading latin or something haha. so i just rely on what others say and use
Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 PM

Honestly, running our cars on dino oil is good enough, if you change it frequently. Unless you're boosting like crazy with insane amounts of heat production, dont worry about what oil you use - just make sure its what YOU want, and I'd honestly worry more about keeping the oil level where it should be than the type of oil you'[re using.

I personally run M1 because its easily availble...but if I had a choice I'd pick:

amsoil, redline, M1, wwhateverelse in that order. not everyone will agree, but thats just my preference.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I skimmed through the article and came up with the following thoughts: the writer has incorrectly identified Mobil 1 brand as the failure catalyst and makes no correlation of the lack of failures to oil viscosity. Mobil 1 makes a fine product that is suitable for daily drivers and harsh environment vehicles. The conclusion of the article seems to be nothing more than misguided, predetermined notions. The writer's opinion leaves no room for the fact that likely reliability improvement is an extension of the increased oil viscosity. Had a Mobil 1 20w-50 product been available for testing, I would wager that comparable results would be found.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"not just another which oil to use thread" followed by "what oil do you guys use and why?"

???????????????

Quick Reply: serious question about motor oil