S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Serious internal noises after o/f

Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Serious internal noises after o/f

I recently did an oil change on my car (I've only had it for a week and that was the first thing I did). I replaced engine oil and the filter. when I started it up it made some serious tapping/horrible internal engine noises for about a half second, then went away. I know this is because the oil didn't have time to go through the pump, fill the filter, then pump out of the filter and to the rest of the engine. My question is: How do I get around this? I would usually put some oil in the filter before I put it on the car, but I can't ever fll the filter up with oil because I can't force the oil through the paper filter like the oil pump can. I really would rather not hurt the engine by cranking it dry after every oil change, but how else does one get aroung this?

Thanks for your help!
Austin
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always put about .5 quarts of oil into the filter before i put the filter on...ive never had any weird noises or anything of that sort after changing my oil in the 5 years ive had my S
Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the horrible sound occur every time you start the engine or just that first time? Does it sound like a playing card on bicycle spokes?

If it happens everytime, particularly when engine is cold, then it might be your timing chain tensioner.

Do a search for "Timing chain Tensioner" (TCT).

This may be your problem and is an easy fix.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me like the infamous sticky starter. Mine does this occasionally on cold days.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:47 AM

Nope, only the first time after doing an oil change.

It also has the 'sticky starter' issue. Does it just need a new starter to fix that or is it in the flywheel gear?

It's not the TCT, I know about that. I'll start doing the oil change like I do it on my CRX, put some oil in the new filter before I put it on the car. Thanks guys and gals!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, just put some oil in the filter before starting. See if that works next time you do an oil change. Doesn't seem like you have an issue otherwise. As for the sticky starter, it seems to be a common occurence on not just S2Ks but most cars in general. Could be that the starter gear is not retracting fast enough in certain temperatures or just in general. A new starter might help but you might want to check your motor mounts first (if they are out of shape it might be causing the lining up of the starter gear to the flywheel to be off not allowing it to retract fast enough). A quick search on here might net you some better answers.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You were most likely hearing the valvetrain with no lubrication for a couple seconds.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never put any oil in the filter when I do an oil change. After three years, I have never any weird noises directly after an oil change either.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same problem. Billman 4th GEN TCT fixed it.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 AM

No doubt it was valve train noise, but it was just unusually loud, like Ford or GM vehicle loud haha! I may try the Billman TCT, but I know it needs a valve adjustment, which I'll do at Christmas, as well as checking the motor mounts, and doing the Banjo Bolt switch over. Does anyone have any thoughts about doing 1 autocross before doing the banjo bolt switch and whether or not it will hurt the engine? I mean the car's got 100K on it and 10 years, so if it hasn't hurt it by now, then I figure 1 autocross won't do too much damage.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Serious internal noises after o/f