S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Separate coin holder piece from center console?

Old 05-24-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Separate coin holder piece from center console?

Ok, I am trying to split the coin holder from the center console in my 00 S2000.

I am hoping to install the defroster install kit being sold by topsonline.com and a robbins top.

I tried pushing the 3 plastic taps in and out and pushing with no luck...Almost seems like the bottom is riveted in somehow. I can post a pic if needed.

Any advice? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got a pic? I can't remember exactly what it looks like.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

What year is your car? The early cars were plastic welded in place. The later had a set screw.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:15 PM

its an 00, rick! It was delivered in 99. So, I am guessing its welded in place, looks to be it . What are my options
Old 05-24-2009, 08:18 PM

Honda created Kit A for you. It has a replacement ceter console, rear corner covers with removable brushes (they were welded too) and everything you needed to make the defroster work.

If you have already solved the rest of the issue, look for a used center console in the FS forum. of you could cut the welds and get the new part mounted. That is up to you.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:37 AM

Rick - I have never heard of this Kit A before. Where do I find it? Please advise. Is this the defroster kit that hardtopguy.com makes? Thanks!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:58 PM

Back in the Day, the S2000 was born. When it was born, a hardtop was just a dream and still on the drawing boards. Mid year 2000, (vin under 5730) had parts that could not be easily modified to install the HT, so Kit A was born. (http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/prod...&cat=92&page=1) Kit A included all of the new parts needed to properly install a hardtop. All 2000 year cars with a vin higher then 5730, already had the right parts in the car, so they only needed to be modified, not replaced.

That is the reason for the 800 Kit A. New center console, new side panels, ect.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:43 AM

Rick - thanks much. I will order the top today and the kit from HTG (Jeff?) I assume I won't need the rubber spacers since thats for a hardtop install?

Also, can you PM me your no to get a hold of you...I might as well order a shift boot and perhaps a new leather center console cover as well since I don't want to rip into the car again.

I am all prepped for the soft top conversion. Car is fully gutted except for crapola soft top.

One last question - I need to order a bunch of new clips for the trunk, rear tray pieces, interior carpet etc (Car was molested in a bad way). I see handa listing a product no. but no part no's...

I am going to order it all and I expect a medium sized box full of push clips at my door and I am not going to know which ones go where?

Is there a cross-reference? I plan on making one and hosting it on my site to help fellow S2K'rs in the same position as me since these cars are getting old and I bet several used ones have been tore into and they may want to restore it back to their glory days.

Thanks - guys like you make this site a wealth of knowledge, I swear!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:55 AM

http://www.slhondaparts.com has the same kind of information, but they display the actual honda part numbers.

We don't offer a phone number to call and order. All orders are handled via our web site.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 06:19 AM

Thanks, Rick. I did PM-email you last week with some questions, but I assume you get a ton and were getting back to them in the order recieved.

I left a VM for Jeff - I am unsure if Kit A comes with defroster button, relays and such or if I need to get this from topsonline as part of their early install kti

Quick Reply: Separate coin holder piece from center console?