S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sending blower to Vortech for rebuild

Old 09-26-2005, 11:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't remember if this has been covered but ...................................
Did you ever discover why the bearing went on your blower?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Hecash
$380 must be their standard rebuild price, mine was done under warranty and no charge but it came with an invoice for that amount showing work done.

Mine showed a little oil spray on the bottom, not enough to drip (I didn't notice any oil til it was removed) and it growled intermittently like hungry cat between 1500 and 2500 rpm then it would go away. It never affected boost. I determined it was bad by pulling the intake and found a slight bit of movement in the impeller.

Vortech's service department did a good job. They were very fast in the turn around, couldn't have been better people to deal with. I was in the 3rd year of my warranty.

We never determined the cause of failure and they didn't supply one when they returned it.

fltsfshr
Old 09-27-2005, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

xviper,

I can only assume it was one of two things.

1. It was bad when I bought it from the member on this board.

2. More likley, when I was having belt tension problems, I think I probably overtightened it. This will not happen as I have a boost gauge now. If you remember, the belt kept coming off one rib so I thought it wasn't tight enough. What happened is that my bearing was blown then, the pulley was moving back and forth throwing the belt off. So I was tightening it sufficiently but everytime I revved the car, the pulley would move back and forth a few mm's cauing the belt to eventually come off.

I am headed out of work early to change the oil, tighten all the bolts, put a new belt on, re-attach SC onto bracket, re-aatch oil feed and return lines, and HOPEFULLY be able to tighten the belt assuming my jam lock nut isn't too stripped and I can tell if it is lose or tight to begin with. Hopefully it will all work out and be a fun day

xviper, do you think it is possible to put on a new jam lock nut? I bought a new one from Vortech and want to have the shop next week put it on before it gets too stripped to get off. I forget what size the bolt is, but I bought an angled racheting wrench that makes it easier, but it still is a pain in the ass.

-Anthony
Old 09-27-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthonymv,Sep 27 2005, 06:59 AM
xviper, do you think it is possible to put on a new jam lock nut? I bought a new one from Vortech and want to have the shop next week put it on before it gets too stripped to get off. I forget what size the bolt is, but I bought an angled racheting wrench that makes it easier, but it still is a pain in the ass.
If memory serves me correctly, yes, you can put on a new jam locknut. The "locking" part of the nut is a sort of neoprene plastic center. That's what is most likely damaged. I too, got an angled racheting wrench to do this job. It's a 19mm nut.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, if it is too hard to get off or to reach, I will have the mechanic do it next week when he puts my gauges in and "looks over everything". Thanks for your help once again.

-Anthony